Today we are going to rev up your workout by featuring the dueling sounds of two legendary divas: Madonna Louise Ciccone (aka Madonna) and Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (aka Lady Gaga). While they may or may not be rivals, we know for sure that they both write butt-kicking music. Music that makes for an awesome workout playlist. So pick your favorite Italian-American diva, and let’s rock this workout!
The Ultimate Madonna vs. Lady Gaga Workout Playlist
1. Madonna “Ray of Light” (5:21). This song is Madonna’s tribute to her daughter Lourdes and has such a joyful, playful sound that it will put you in the mood to give it your all. (See if you can get the “William Orbit Liquid Mix” version, as it is especially amazing. )
2. Lady Gaga “Poker Face” (3:58). Now that we are warm, it’s time to add a steady, hard-driving beat from this classic from Gaga. When you are done with your workout, check out this clip of Christopher Walken reading the lyrics on late night TV. (Perfection!)
3. Madonna “Express Yourself” (4:39). If you are ever in doubt just how much awesomesauce you are truly made of, then turn this one up and remember that you are the best and only deserve the best of everything. WORD!
4. Lady Gaga “Born This Way” (4:20). Ruh oh! Madonna’s hackles are being raised at the playing of this kind of, sort of sound-alike tune. But it is just so powerful and irresistible that it just had to join the workout playlist today. A must-have when your workout needs extra oomph.
5. Madonna “Music” (3:44). I use this tune in my group cycling classes all the time, and it always makes the room go WOOT! Seriously, this is a great one if you are working in some speed intervals.
6. Lady Gaga “Edge of Glory” (5:20). The best thing about this song is that it totally could have been a hit for Pat Benatar in the 80s. It’s melodramatic and over-the-top, in the best possible way.
7. Madonna “Like a Prayer” (5:41). True story — Madonna did a commercial for Pepsi featuring this very song. THEN she released the real video for “Like a Prayer” on MTV that created quite the scandal at the time. (Someone call Olivia Pope, stat!) Pepsi was forced to buy Madonna out of her contract. In other words, she made millions for being true to her art. Now that is a true Material Girl!
8. Lady Gaga “Telephone” (3:41). Beyoncé and Gaga team up for this super fun dancy tune that’s all about dealing with dudes who do NOT know when to give you some space. (Boundaries are important, people!)
9. Madonna “B*tch I’m Madonna” (3:02). Who else can call out all of the haters as well as Madge? The woman refuses to put up with anyone’s crap, which is why she is a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member.
10. Lady Gaga “Americano” (4:06). We are going to finish this workout playlist on a hard charging note with this one from Gaga that somehow meshes mariachi and techno into a festive treat. Enjoy!
Get the Madonna vs. Lady Gaga Workout Playlist on Spotify
Listen to this workout playlist on Spotify!
So which Madonna and Lady Gaga songs would YOU include in a playlist? Let us know about them in the comments! —Margo