I remember what my list of “favorite ways to relax” was before I had kids. It involved things like long baths, massages, pedicures, reading magazines, sleeping in. Which seems HILARIOUS to me now. Because my new list of favorite ways to relax is just a little bit different … (And perfect to share seeing we launched our new site Fit Bottomed Zen this week, right? Right!)
11 Real Places Moms Find Zen
1. The car. When the kids are all strapped in and asleep. Bliss. And there’s no shame in continuing to drive around or just sitting in the driveway for an extra
5 30 minutes.
2. The bathroom. Even just a minute alone to pee can be bliss. Get a whole shower to yourself and consider yourself in the lap of luxury.
3. A walk. Put ’em in the stroller, then walk (or jog) it out. Like nature’s spa day. (And the only way my daughter wouldn’t lose it around 5 p.m. for the first five months of her life!)
4. Pumping. Go ahead and let someone else feed the baby while you listen to the relaxing sounds of your breast-pump.
5. The laundry room. Now this is aromatherapy.
6. A playground. Sure, you can’t totally zone out, but there’s nothing like a playground for letting your kids run off some extra energy and for you to just sit the heck down. (Or, do a workout if you want to.)
7. Target. That place is magical.
8. The pantry. With chocolate.
9. Yard work. Whether it’s gardening or mowing the grass, it’s like a vacay in your own backyard.
10. When “PJ Masks” is on. Don’t judge.
11. Taking the trash out. That moment of quiet when you put the trash out at 5:30 a.m. because the baby is up and your trash gets picked up abnormally early — and it’s just you, the moon and a bag of garbage. Yeah, that’s zen.
Okay, yeah, you’re right. We DO need to get that massage …
What are your favorite ways to relax as a mom? Which one had you cracking up? A big thanks to Erin for her help with this list. I so wish I had a pantry. —Jenn