Ah, summer. It’s hot out there, so that means that this is a time for outdoor fun, trips to the pool and spotting fireflies in the evenings. It’s also time for cool breezy clothes, adorable summer hats and fun summer fashion. As much as I love kids’ summer fashion, I also love practicality. Here is a little round up of my summer must-haves for kids that are are fully functional and super fashionable.
1. Native Jefferson shoe. These have been a must since my mister began walking in the summer time. They are great for early walkers and easy to slip on for big kids. They go from wet to dry surfaces without sliding, and they don’t leave the feet with a stench upon removal. Natives also clean nicely: simply take a magic erase marker and some warm water and you’re good to go. Best part? No concern for feet burning in the hot sun. Although, I still recommend sunscreen on those tiny toes, the holes are big enough for the right amount of air to pass thru but not too large that the sun burns the feet.
2. Burt’s Bees Kids’ tanks and camisoles. I love, love, love these! They come in boy, girl and neutral options. These tanks wash nicely and are durable for the hard summer playdates. The cotton is not heavy, and they are surprisingly breathable. I enjoy the ease of traveling with these and I like the bundle packages. I always have an extra in my car and diaper bag for the oops moments. No concern with drying these, they come out the same shape they go into the wash. I wash on cold and dry on medium heat with no problems! I’ve found these at Buy Buy Baby and useda coupon! Tip: There tends to be more color options in stores than online.
3. Summer hats. I have had great luck finding some simple summer hats at Target, but find that Old Navy’s sale prices beat Target, and they also have some cute prints. They’ve got options that snap under the chin and are easy-to-care-for cotton. They are a bit on the thicker side, so when we’re at the pool sometimes I’ll put it in the water to cool Sadie down. It wears just as nice dry when playing outside and adds some cuteness to any outfit! For Evan, he’s in the baseball hat phase and with my Cubbies in first place, I support this choice!
4. Rompers/jump suits. Every girls must have this summer! Whether Baby or Big Girl, these are cute, breathable and go great from day to night. I love adding a cute straw hat with them, too! I love Zara’s quality for all things kids!
5. Boys’ shorts. I love nothing more than a linen short on boys, add in bermuda style, and we’re in for the win. These are great for nicer evenings out in the summer time and pair perfectly with any t-shirt in their drawer. The belt is darling but can certainly be worn without if you’re in that potty training phase. The inside has an adjustable waist band which is a must for My Mister. Win!
6. Nautical anything. All day EVERYDAY! This is practical and easy to do. The opportunities are endless for adding a nautical look, whether it’s an anchor T-shirt, some navy shorts, boat shoes or the right dress. Kids in nautical is beyond appropriate for summer and my ultimate favorite look!
7. Melissa and Mini Melissas. This is my first summer with this shoe and they are an absolute yes! Remember those jellies we wore as kids? These are another version, and have a sweet scent to them! These are flexible and durable and have some nice cushioning for the early walker in the sole. They are easy to put on with a Velcro close. Yes, you need these!
Do you have any summer faves for kids you run to year after year? —Jennifer