With the U.S. pet obesity rate for dogs and cats at 50 percent, Animal Planet decided to hire expert dog trainer Travis Brorsen to star in its newest reality series, My Big Fat Pet Makeover, to help folks slim down their fur babies. So for this episode of the podcast, we peppered him with as many questions as we could about how to make the most of pet ownership!
A big advocate of positive reinforcement, Travis trained his own beloved boxer, Presley, well enough to win CBS’s Greatest American Dog competition in 2008 and is now one of the most well-respected trainers in the New York tri-state area. He talked to us about everything from what to feed our pets to how to build a bond with your animals to the lifesaving command every dog should know (and more!) in this super informative pet-loving episode.
Here are just a few of the standout nuggets he dropped on us:
Podcast Ep 51 Highlights With Travis Brorsen of My Big Fat Pet Makeover
- Best practices when dealing with an overweight pet who doesn’t want to exercise
- Figuring out the confusing labels on the back of our pets’ foods
- Dry food versus wet food
- Managing excitable dogs
- The most challenging pets he helped on My Big Fat Pet Makeover
- How owners tend to improve their fitness when they focus on improving their pet’s health
- What growing up on a farm in Oklahoma taught him about pets and responsibility
- The power of positive reinforcement
- How you can train your pet in just 10 minutes per day
Get the episode with Travis Brorsen here!
What are your tricks for getting your pets to be more active? —Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at email@example.com and let’s make the world a healthier place together!