The Olympics are here and we can barely contain our excitement! In fact, “Woot!” is the common shout you will hear from us when talking about the games in Pyeongchang.
So what better way to celebrate the occasion than to record a fun, new, Olympics-themed preshow and replay one of our favorite interviews ever with the amazing Mary Lou Retton? Not only was she the first women to win a gold medal for gymnastics, but also she’s managed to remain a legendary representative for women in sports for three decades, which is no small feat.
These days Mary Lou is a busy mom to four sporty daughters who are pursuing gymnastics and competitive cheerleading. She talked with us about how she keeps her energy going with a busy family life, plus her own personal goals on self-improvement. (And, spoiler: a person with five medals in a super competitive sport can still feel insecure!)
Our favorite quotes from Mary Lou in this ep are …
Podcast Episode 69 Highlights With Mary Lou Retton
- How even Mary Lou Retton has her off days (really!)
- Her inspiration for getting into the sport of gymnastics
- Her work with Nature’s Bounty to help people achieve their healthiest lives
- The fact that when she first appeared on the scene, her muscular body was described as “fat” by some of the press
- Her tips for raising strong and confident daughters
- Where she kept her Olympic medals for years (it’s a doozie!)
Also in this episode, we each talk about favorite Winter Olympic sports and how we all watch the games. (Kristen, in particular, has it all nailed down!)
Get the replay episode with Mary Lou Retton here or below!
What games will YOU be watching during the Winter Olympics? —Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s make the world a healthier place together!