Slow gets a bad rap — but in today’s interview, we learn that sometimes the best path to happiness isn’t found in the fast lane. In this episode, we talk with Erin Loechner, founder of Design for Mankind and author of Chasing Slow: Courage to Journey Off the Beaten Path. You might also recognize her name from her writing and design work featured in The New York Times, Dwell, Marie Claire, Elle Decor, and Huffington Post, or from her two-season HGTV.com web special in which she and her husband chronicled the full renovation of their Midwest home.
That choice to create a home in the Midwest after years spent chasing their dreams in Los Angeles is part of what inspired Erin to focus on the idea of living slow. This slower, more purposeful life is a happier one for Erin, her husband, and their two children — and she wants to share that concept with everyone.
According to Erin, living “slow” can mean a number of things ranging from eliminating excess in your life to limiting the choices you have to eat every day (she’s a fan of the occasional Whole 30) to owning a capsule wardrobe. One of the early bloggers (she started in 2001!), Erin has some amazing advice to help us all live more deliberately — and once you see what’s worked for her and her family, we have a feeling you’ll be on the way to a happier, less frazzled daily routine.
Here are a few of our fave quotes …
Don’t forget: this podcast ep is sponsored by Luv My Skivvies, a monthly subscription service for undies that are as cute as they are comfy. Designed for workouts and your everyday life, you just pick your size and your style, and you’ll never have to think about what’s in your panty drawer again. Because badass women need panties that live up to our adventures. Be sure to check out check luvmyskivvies.com and save 25 percent off your first month with the code FBG at checkout!
Podcast Episode 83 Highlights With Erin Loechner
- The process that sent Erin on the path to create Chasing Slow
- How the book she created was very different than the one she set out to write — and why
- The fact that it took her longer than she expected to actually practice what she was preaching
- The subtle mindset shift that changed everything (and how you can incorporate it into your own life)
- How life can actually be improved by imposing more limitations
- Overcoming her “martyr complex” within her marriage
- Tips for removing meaningless, tiny decisions that compound our anxiety
- Where she chooses to place her phone when it’s charging
- How to overcome feeling as if you are being “buried by circumstances”
- The Hidden Brain podcast ep that Kristen refers to in the podcast
- Our past episodes of sleep with Dr. Michael Breus and movement expert Katy Bowman that are mentioned in this episode
- Plus, we talk about how we try to slow down and enjoy life more in simple steps — because talking to Erin really got us thinking and some of us have made real changes!
Get the episode with Erin Loechner here or below!
What are ways you can incorporate more “slow” in your life? —Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at email@example.com and let’s make the world a healthier place together!