Podcast Ep 101: Ultra Runner Entrepreneur Jax Mariash
Get ready for some caffeination and motivation in this ep with ultra runner and coffee entrepreneur Jax Mariash. Because, wow, does this woman have an amazing amount of energy and wisdom to spare!
Jax is a professional ultra runner who was the first woman in the world to compete in the 4 Deserts race series Grand Slam Plus. In addition to that, she won all of the 4 Deserts races in one fiscal year. Yup — she is a certified badass, and in this episode, she shares her favorite adventures including the time she ran on sand so hot that her shoes melted! (Did we mention how tough she is?!)
In addition to being a successful athlete, Jax is also the founder and owner of STOKED Roasters, a premium organic coffee company. So how on earth does she manage to fit all of these activities into her busy schedule? Getting up at 4:45 am seems to help, along with a daily meditation practice. Jax also talks about her favorite superfoods, how she packs for stage races, the skills that athletes and business-minded people have in common, plus how she manages fatigue during training. And that’s just a fraction of what we covered in this ep, which will really speak to runners and entrepreneurs, but, honestly, anyone would be a big fan of Jax after this convo! Her laugh … it’ll win you right over.
A couple of our favorite quotes from Jax:
And, another big thanks to our amazing sponsor: Inspire Bath!
Here’s a little on why we ADORE this line: All Inspire Bath products (we love the deodorant spray and body lotion you see above best) are all-natural, smell great and use simple ingredients to help with body odor — totally free of baking soda, aluminum, oil and parabens. We’ve been using it for months now and it works! If you’re looking for an all-natural beauty line that is good for your body and skin, this is IT. Makes for a great gift for someone you love … or yourself. Plus! For every bottle purchased Inspire Bath donates one to help build and empower women and girls at shelters and interim homes at the YWCA in St. Joseph, Missouri, for their domestic shelter and home for women and families. It’s a win-win!
Podcast Episode 101 Highlights from Jax Mariash
- How she balances being an ultra runner with running her own coffee business (and the morning routine that she starts at 4:45 am!)
- Why ultra running has changed her views on what is (and isn’t) a crisis
- What goes into stage racing and the extreme lengths she goes to in order to reduce the weight in her pack (like cutting in half her toothbrush)
- The effects that training can have on one’s personal relationships (and how to be a really good friend when your time is at a premium)
- The best way to store your coffee beans and the “double shot” she enjoys before her morning runs
- How she dealt with a divorce while running around the world
- Tips for getting into ultra running and why you shouldn’t be scared to give it a go
- The nutrition she relies on — and it’s not what you expect
- Her advice for entrepreneurs
- What’s left on her bucket list
- Plus, we talk about our favorite pre- and post-workout snacks.
Get the episode with Jax here!
Get more info on our podcast here and be sure to subscribe on iTunes so that you never miss an episode!
How do you like your coffee? —Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s make the world a healthier place together!