Quick! What comes to mind when you hear the word “Jazzercise?” Leg warmers, leotards, and snapping fingers? Well, guess again because we are talking to Jazzercize President Shanna Missett Nelson, who as the daughter of Jazzercize’s founder Judi Sheppard Missett, quite literally grew up watching the aerobics brand become a pop culture phenomenon — and she’s here to let us all know that it might not be at all what you’re picturing.
The busy mom of two girls still teaches three classes per week, and she says that, while Jazzercise still involves a whole lot of dancing and fun tunes, it has grown with the times to include strength training and HIIT workouts. The now 50-year-old company (!) is just as upbeat and relevant now as it was when it launched with thousands of franchises around the globe, and Shanna has her eye on the marketing trends of the future.
We loved chatting with Shanna about creating Jazzercise routines (she choreographs all of them from her home,) juggling the schedules of her dance-loving teenage girls, and her favorite slow cooker recipe that keeps her family happy and well-fed.
One of the best quotes from this ep was (because we couldn’t agree more!) …
Podcast Ep 112 Highlights with Shanna Missett Nelson:
- How she grew up thinking that everyone’s mom put on leotards and taught aerobics for a living
- How Jazzercise has evolved over the years — and how they stay true to who they are while still growing
- How Jazzercise got started — and how Shanna “accidentally” found her way into the company
- The amazing community that Jazzercise has created and how it’s changed lives
- What goes into building the choreography for each class so that everyone can participate and hit their goals
- Her favorite classes — and why she loves strength training
- How she’s a Crock-Pot geek — and her favorite easy weeknight recipe
- Plus, we FBGs share our early memories of Jazzercise (so many pastel-colored leotards!)
- And, hey! It’s our 11th birthday! Get in on all the fun (giveaways, awards, special content) right here.
Get the episode with the Jazzercize’s Shanna Missett Nelson here or below!
What are your memories of Jazzercise? —Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s make the world a healthier place together!