Meet Sahar Aker, the mental health advocate who started the #IChooseBeauty movement and hashtag — which she calls a “life preserver” for her own mental health and happiness. A former health reporter, Sahar first reported on depression after her mother’s death 20 years ago; she now serves as an inspiration for people on social media as she continues to share her story and build a supportive community online.
Her own battle with depression led to the creation of IChooseBeauty, and her decision to document one beautiful thing each day has turned into a popular (and free!) 30-day #IChooseBeauty photo challenge where participants are encouraged to snap and share a daily photo.
In this ep, she talks about how she finds happiness in the things that surround her every day, and how that lead to her building a business that allows her to share some of the tools and mantras that inspire her. You can shop for products featuring her favorite and most powerful quotes at I choosebeauty.org; not only will these items put a smile on your face, but because Sahar has a partnership with Mental Health America, five percent of your purchase will go toward that cause.
Plus, Sahar offers her advice on what to look for in friends and family with depression — and gives a few pointers on what you shouldn’t do for them.
One of our favorite quotes from this ep:
Podcast Episode 118 Highlights from Sahar
- The story and science behind her popular and uplifting “I Choose Beauty” campaign
- How you can be both happy and depressed at the same time
- Finding beauty in everyday moments, wherever you are
- How to support loved ones who suffer from depression
- How she manages her social media usage to support her mental health
- What the reaction on social media has been from her posts and how they have helped people around the world
- Tips for getting a mental health screening
- How her workouts changed when she was depressed (and the ones she does now)
- The words that helped her heal
- Plus, we FBGs talk about how we met Sahar
Get the episode with the Sahar Aker here or below!
What are ways you “choose” to find beauty? —Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s make the world a healthier place together!