Every fall we get the urge to binge watch all of the Harry Potter movies. Anyone else?
There’s just a lot of fall vibes in those movies, and we are here for it! Which, seeing that it’s basically September and all, is exactly why this cookbook caught our attention (HP fans unite!):
Fifty magically simple, spellbinding recipes for young witches and wizards? Yes, please! From breakfasts to desserts to snacks to main dishes, The Unofficial Hogwarts Cookbook for Kids is so, SO fun and educational. You and your kiddos will learn new cooking terms and kitchen skills with recipes that range in complexity so that all kid chefs and their potions masters (AKA parents) can whip up something amazing.
One simple and fun recipe that caught our attention was for Butterscotch “Beer” — which, because this is for kids — isn’t really beer at all. Instead, it’s a mug full of butterscotch-y goodness that you can sip while pretending to be at the Three Broomsticks Inn or any other imaginary wizarding bar you fancy.
Photo courtesy of Ulysses Press
Looks delicious, right?! So frothy and fun. And we want you to try it!
Thankfully, we’ve been given permission from the publisher to share this tasty Butterscotch “Beer” recipe with you. So, grab your best wizard or witch hat, your robes, and your large mugs, and let’s cheers to butterbeer!
Butterscotch “Beer” Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 oz lemon lime soda
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Cook the mixture for 5 minutes, until the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Allow this mixture to cool to room temperature, 15 minutes.
- When cool, divide between 4 large glasses filled halfway up with ice.
- Slowly top with soda, but be careful not to overfill, as the mixture will bubble and foam! Stir to blend and enjoy.
A huge thanks to Alana Al-Hatlani and Ulysses Press for allowing us to share this Butterscotch “Beer” recipe. What are some of your other family fall favorite recipes? This is definitely gonna be one of our new faves! —Jenn
Excerpted from The Unofficial Hogwarts Cookbook for Kids by Alana Al-Hatlani. Copyright © 2021 Ulysses Press. Reprinted with permission from Ulysses Press. New York, NY. All rights reserved.