How Often Do You Step on the Scale?

Even though Erin and I swore off letting the scale control our self esteem years ago,it’s still a good idea to have a ballpark idea of what you weigh in case you go to the doctor’s office for your annual check-up and learn that you weigh 15 pounds more than your last visit. At first you rationalize this as just overly clunky shoes or a heavy lunch or a bulky sweater. Then you panic that you might be pregnant. And then you slowly begin to remember that you ate almost an entire 8-pound bag of Halloween candy because you only had a handful of trick or treaters. And that you haven’t been laid in a month. Well, at least that’s how it went down for me in grad school. Oh, what good memories. Anyhooey…the question of the day is:

• Daily: Win or lose, it’s my addiction.
  • Couple of times a week: I don’t weigh every day, but once a week isn’t enough to keep my curiosity
  • Weekly: I’m not an addict, but it keeps me on track.
  • Monthly: Twelve times a year is plenty for me, thank you!
  • Never/hardly ever: Must. Avoid. At. All. Costs.

Feel free to tell us your thoughts on this hotly contested issue below!
p.s. A big congrats to Sagan Morrow at Living Healthy in the Real World who won The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Sexual Health and Fitness. If you’re bummed about not winning the book, you can buy it for the low, low price of $13.22 on Amazon. Thanks to all who participated! —Jenn

Comments

1. christie i. says:

I try to only weigh myself once a month. The scale and I are not friends and it can really dampen my day if I don’t see what I want to see. So, once a month it is just to be sure that I am staying within my range.

2. Juliet says:

I used to weight myself every single day. It was semi-predictable and worked really well. When it went up, I’d eat less. And, when it went down, I’d eat more. But then I realized that I was never losing weight because I would always eat more on days that it went down. So, I had to stop weighing myself so often. Now, I weigh myself every few days. I have to say, it is really scary, since I never know what the scale is going to say! 🙂

3. Marketing Gurl says:

Love you blog! I am starting to join the fitness blog circle now too and I love reading your blog.

4. GroundedFitness says:

I rarely step on the scale, but its not because I avoid it, its because I dont care.

I dont own one, but we have one at work, and sometimes when people get down about their weight, Ill weigh myself. then chug some watre and weigh myself again, just to prove how much everything effects your weight.

Kelly Turner

5. Marcy says:

I put weekly but it can be less than that at times. BUT if I’m in the process of losing weight? Yeah then it would be daily LOL

6. MizFit says:

once a year at doctors.

ONLY.
    dont care and if Ive gained Id probably think OOOOH MUSCLE. WOO HOO!

I do have my check in pants but find I don those once a year as well.

I know when Ive gained…dont need metal or denim to tell me 🙂

M.

7. Erica says:

I must say, I am really bad about the scale. I do step on it pretty much every day. As usual, you crack me up, I love the “I must be preggers” thought. I may have had that before…hahahah

8. Angie says:

I weigh myself 1 or maybe 2x a month, but only because I am checking my body fat. Not that concerned about my weight so much.

I don’t let my clients weight themselves more than once a month…otherwise they get all freaked out all the time!

9. Teri and Amber says:

OK I admit, when I feel "slim" I never step on the scale. When I've eaten poorly or have been lazy I punish myself by stepping on the scale-sometimes 2 or 3 times the same week…err day.