Coming Out of the Running Closet

Time to blow the doors open and come clean. I, someone who has had an on-again, off-again relationship with running, am totally committed. Well, at least for the next three months. That’s right folks, this Fit Bottomed Girl just registered for her first half marathon. God help me.

For the past few months, I’ve been quietly logging miles both outside and inside. Being a little shy, I decided not to declare my official running intentions until I was a) sure that I was going to do it and b) brave enough to make it public. Seeing that you guys are so welcoming and encouraging—not to mention inspiring with your own athletic endeavors—I feel safe in sharing my new lifestyle with you.

From today until race day on March 29, I’ll be running three days a week, strength training two days a week and doing at least one session of yoga per week, give or take. My runs are starting at about 3 miles and will gradually build to prepare me for the 13.1-mile race. My goal is to finish. I don’t care about the time, I just want to enjoy it. As the weeks tick by and I adapt to my new way of living, I’ll give you little updates every other Monday as to how I’m progressing. Nothing too long or detailed, but a few notes on my progress, challenges and triumphs (hopefully mostly the latter).

Why did I decide to do this, you may ask? Well, I wanted a challenge, and honestly, when I run regularly, I feel fantastic. There’s nothing better than that runner’s high, and I need an event to prepare for to really combat my exercise ADD. Plus, running a half marathon has always been in the back of my mind since I was in high school, and, you know, there’s no time like the present. And, when it’s time, it’s time.

I’m psyched to have a new goal for 2009. It’s much better than my usual “I’ll stop biting my nails,” when I know I’m way too fidgety to ever give that up. Erin already filled us in on her resolutions for the New Year, but here are mine.1. Run a half marathon. For all of the reasons mentioned above. Anyone care to join me?

2. Take more time for myself. Life is short, and I work hard. Between a full-time job, the blog, a husband, a dog and goal #1, I don’t have a lot of free minutes in the day to do some of the things I love to do like reading, playing the Wii and, honestly, sleeping. Just as I schedule my workouts, I’m going to make sure the TV and computer are off at least 30 minutes before bedtime so that I can take some much-needed relaxation time for me.

3. Continue listening to my body.I’ve heard horror stories of people training for events and getting injured and then feeling guilty for taking time off, etc., etc., etc. I do not want to be one of those people. Although I am dedicated to training and I will push myself possibly harder than I ever have, nothing is worth compromising my health or body for. So, despite the challenge, I will continue to respect my body and its boundaries as I always have. Love thyself. It’s my motto.

Now that I’m out of the running closet, do I feel different? Am I treated differently? So far, the retail world has embraced me with open arms as I’ve racked up a sizable bill with Nike for “must-have” running apparel (pricey sweat-wicking gloves and hat) and my husband has noticed my fitter bottom, but I’ll keep you posted on how the rest of society responds. —Jenn

And don’t forget: In just two days, we’ll have the drool-inducing interview with Biggest Loser personal trainer Bob Harper! Don’t miss it!

Photo grabbed from procsilas on Flickr.

Comments

1. MizFit says:

Im so impressed.
    if you chance to run through AUustin TX stop by and drag me along!

2. choosinglosing says:

Ugh! I have running envy! Runners are such bad@$$es! I need to get down below 180 lbs so I can run again (without risking refracturing my foot). I have signed up for a 2k walk and have a couple other sprinkled in my calendar this year. I figure walking is better than nothing. Still, I want to run. Stupid repetitive stress fractures…

3. Merry says:

It’s hard to run in the closet. I’m glad you’re coming out with your goals. (Especially #3 — more sleep!) I will cheer you from the sidelines.

cionowpb – a little pub in Wales whose name is easiest to pronounce after a few pints

4. Jess says:

Congrats!!! I’m so excited to hear all about your training!

5. kjl says:

Go Jenn! I ran a half several years ago and haven’t been able to run since–I’m so jealous!

6. tfh says:

You know, having the half-marathon goal really made me re-embrace running. I am thrilled you’ve decided to come out of the closet! Keep us updated on how your long runs are going; sounds like you have plenty of time to build up sensibly.

7. Irene says:

A half-marathon? That’s impressive. I am doing my first sprint triathlon this year and I am so scared.

8. Crabby McSlacker says:

Well shoot, I got all excited about the first few words of the title of the post…

But the running thing is great too! And like choosinglosing, I have running envy too. Old, chewed-up crappy knees keep me to no more than 10 miles a week, which must be only on the softest of surfaces, and even then I have to take breaks.

Will be looking forward to hearing how it goes!

9. Marcy says:

CONGRATS!!! You’re gonna love it! $50 says that after this you’ll be running a full in a year 😛

10. Sagan says:

Exercising is such a great way to take some time for yourself! Good luck with the running.

11. Roblynn and Rebekah says:

Good luck with your half. I agree with the post that said you will be doing a full, always happens. A half is much more doable though as far as still working, family, life in general. You may end up like my friend who signed up for the half, felt so good at that point finished the whole darned thing! Pura Vida

12. Chic Runner says:

Once you run the 1/2, you’ll love it! I was addicted but not like I am now after I’ve started racing again! 🙂 Yay for you!

13. Canoegirl42 says:

Good Luck!! I love running 5ks, but have never been brave enough to try a half, so more power to you!!

14. Jenn says:

I’m so touched by everyone’s support. Ya’ll are the best.

Irene: A sprint tri? I’m not much of a swimmer or biker, so I’m totally in awe of all who do those. Go girl!

Crabby: Sorry to disappoint. 😉

And to all of you who think I’ll run a full: We’ll see about that…hehe.

15. Lori says:

Congrats! Good for you! That sums up my relationship with running too.

My goal is to be more of a regular runner and complete a 10K. I’ve run one before but not the whole distance.

You will do great! Keep us updated with your training.

16. Playful Professional says:

I’m running a half-marathon in March too. I’m tracking my running on my fitness blog (http://lovehaterunning.blogspot.com). I’ve run three other ones but not for two years, and I’m really going to make it this time. It really is the perfect distance.

17. Michelle says:

We are in the same boat! I registered for my first 1/2 Marathon to take place on April 11th. Best of luck with your training! I am looking forward to reading about it and the BIG DAY!

18. Juliet says:

I’ve always wanted to run a marathon or a half marathon or a 10k or a 5k. 🙂 🙂 I’ve actually been thinking seriously about doing it in 2009 to get it over with!! Are you training fully on your own?

19. Jenn says:

I love that I’m not the only one doing this in 2009!

My hubby is running with me regularly and will probably do the race with me, so I have someone to be accountable to. Plus I have public scrutiny with you guys. 🙂

20. RachelW says:

My roommate and I committed to completing a half marathon in 2009 as well! The thing I like about it is it makes exercise have a purpose. It’s not just 30 minutes of intervals on a machine. It’s running with a goal. Also, I find that sticking to a set training schedule makes it so much less daunting. When I look at my training schedule, I think, “Well, if you think I’ll be running 10 miles in a few weeks, I guess I’ll be running 10 miles in a few weeks.”
    Good luck! Reading about your progress will motivate me!!

21. Charlotte says:

Way to go, Jenn! I think that is a great goal – you’re going to be fabulous, girl!!

22. keyalus says:

Good luck! I love the half-marathon distance. It is long enough to be a challenge, but not so long that the training is take over your life exhausting.

I like having a big race planned because it gives my running a purpose and makes me more likely to do it. I’m planning to run my third halfie in late March too.

23. eatingbender says:

Wow! Good luck – I admire you and can’t wait to read more about the training. It’s definitely on my life to-do list :o)

24. LisaNewton says:

You go girl. I finished my first 10K in December, and it felt great. I’m thinking about a half marathon in March, but haven’t registered or anything yet. I’ve let some of my training lag in the past few weeks, but now it’s time to get back into it.

I wish you luck with your training.

25. Roni says:

Whoo Hooo

With ya all the way!

26. Kristen says:

You have a fantastic attitude about this! I did one a couple of years ago, and I have to say, I was not addicted at all — in fact, I swore I would never do one again. I’m now mentally ready to go for another one, but my knees are giving me problems. However, I’ve gotten into doing the sprint triathlons, which I just LOVE.

Just remember — the minute you cross the start line, you’ve gotten farther than most people, and as far as I’m concerned, you’re already pretty awesome.