Portions Jump, Swim Long and the Pizza Police

Calorie counts skyrocket, swimming cuts risk of death and pizza guru discusses pie intake.

Portion Control
We all know that restaurant calorie counts and portion sizes have ballooned over the years. But even home-cooked meals are packing higher calorie counts than ever before. Recipes from the latest copy of The Joy of Cooking, first published in 1937, have blown up 63 percent. Eeep! Larger serving dishes certainly contribute to excess consumption, so click the link for tricks to keep portions manageable.

Portion potion.

Sweet Swimming
While we’ve discovered that regular running slows the effects of aging, a new study says that swimming cuts men’s risk of dying in half. Not only did the study find that regular swimmers had a higher cardiorespiratory fitness than walkers and sedentary people, but the study found that swimmers had the lowest death rate of the thousands of study participants who were enrolled in the 32-year study. So, if you hate running but know how to swim, you’ve just found your fountain of youth.

Hop in the pool.

Pizza Papa
The founder of Papa John’s pizza recently stated something we’ve all known: “You can’t eat five or six slices.” For someone trying to sell pizza, the advice might seem a little counterproductive, but I give him props for his honesty. In a BBC interview, Papa John himself said that the problem with pizza is if you eat too much of it, but if you limit yourself to one or two slices, it can be nutritious. We knew this of course, but it’s funny to hear the Papa himself admit it. So grab a slice or two, but add a side salad or some veggies to munch on to round out your meal. The Papa said so.

Deep dish diet.

News hungry? Check out the best diets around and a study on whether to exercise when you’re under the weather.

Photo grabbed from ReneS and faeryboots at Flickr.

Comments

1. Erica says:

Love the news about swimming! Eating a whole pizza isn’t good for you? haha ;)Good for papa john for coming out and being honest!

2. NatNibbles says:

Definitely agree with the pizza… I eat a couple cheese slices once a week with a big salad, and it satisfies my craving without me going overboard.

3. tfh says:

Very cool about swimming. I do think there is something healthy and soothing about just being in water, even without the cardio benefits!

I really have a hard time NOT overeating pizza, which is why I try to stick to whole wheat crust and tons of veggies on top– the only way I can stop is by making it super-filling!

4. Moonlight Dancer says:

Mmmm Papa Johns…yum! They have a great whole wheat crust as well.

5. ♥ Dee ♥ says:

And this is exactly why I got fat. I lived in a supersized world! I was flabberghasted when I finally learned what an actual portion looked like! And quite frankly, it made me cry. I thought I would be hungry for the rest of my everlovin life if that’s all I could eat.

LOL

Now? I still suffer the mindset. I’ll be in a fancy restaurant, and I’ll order something and when it comes, my first thought is “well, I’ll still be hungry after THIS”. But you know what? I never am. I’m slowly learning (been on this journey for 2 years and sixty pounds, so reaaaally slowly) that I don’t need large portions of food to be comfortably satisfied.

6. David at Animal-Kingdom-Workouts says:

Regarding the Joy of Cooking, I would be really curious to know why they made the decision to increase their portion sizes. Were they getting complaints that they just weren’t big enough?

As far as running being an “anti-aging” exercise, I strongly disagree with this. The Standford study is comparing active people (runners) to non-active people (couch potatoes). So, is running better than doing nothing? Surprise surprise, yes. Does this mean it’s anti-aging? Uh, no. Take a look at any serious marathon runner. Whether Man or Woman, they ALL look older than they really are. Serious runners generally posses a very gaunt physique. Let’s see the study comparing Running to something like Yoga. I’d bet all my anti-aging money on Yoga, every time.

– Dave

7. Sagan says:

Hurray I’m glad that swimming has such a good rep! The portions thing is truly horrifying, isn’t it? Also I love that the founder is being so honest, that rarely happens. Props to him!

8. potridge says:

The guy from Papa John had nothing to lose by saying what he said. He knows that his customer base isn’t going to stop eating 5 or 6 slices in one sitting just because he said it was unhealthy. He comes off as being concerned about our well being. It’s a win win for him!!!!!