How to Make Homemade Protein Bars: The Nutrition Bar Formula that Ended my PowerBar Addiction

Credit: No Meat Athlete

Credit: No Meat Athlete

My name is Susan, and I’m an nutrition bar addict.
I can’t help it! They’re just so quick. And convenient. And tasty.
But, like most things that come in a shiny foil wrapper, they’re not the healthiest. Though many boast a mega-punch of protein, added vitamins/minerals and antioxidants, it’s hard to find a protein bar that doesn’t have added sweeteners, preservatives or even trans fats. If you’re allergic to nuts, sensitive to gluten or a vegan who doesn’t eat dairy products, the list of nutrition bars to choose from grows even shorter!
Here’s the secret the manufacturers don’t want you to know: It’s not that hard to make your own homemade protein bars. It’s much healthier, too! My friend Christine, who writes many of the baked-goods recipes for No Meat Athlete, has a knack for creating unique and ahhh-mazing vegan treats. You’d be surprised what she can do with a can of beans—and no, I’m not exaggerating. She’s got a talent for incorporating weird-but-healthy ingredients into tasty morsels: Beans into brownies, avocado into chocolate mousse and cauliflower into cookies.
The secret to homemade-protein-bar greatness, she says, is to have a formula. Using a base formula allows you to add your own little flair to your nutrition bar recipe depending on your mood, the season, and the ingredients you have on hand. The result is a tasty, protein-packed energy bar you can feel good about eating.
Next: The Recipe.

Comments

1. ludz says:

I always check out this website before buying any protein products – http://www.excellentprotein.com – My personal favourite is the Supreme Protein Carb Conscious Bar because of the high protein:carb ratio.

2. CJ says:

Would have to have the carb, calories etc. I’m a diabetic and trying to loose weight so this information is vita to me.

1. AR says:

CJ – if you register for a free account at sparkpeople.com, you can create your own recipes by entering all the ingredients you use, and the number of servings, and the program will spit out nutrition facts for you!

3. ErikaMC says:

Yes! I have made some bars with his formula before and they were good. I need to try other combinations!

4. shelly says:

I don’t have a food processor, do you think this would work in a blender?

5. Lyn says:

This is the best way to get the proteins you need especially after performing strenuous activities. It is also great for health conscious individuals and most importantly the recipe is just easy to follow.

6. Suzanne says:

Susan, this is awesome information. My kids are really picky eaters and love snacks. We go through loads of snack bars per week which I’m sure some of them are not so good. Now I can make some really tasty ones and give them something healthy to eat as well. Is there anything you would recommend for teenagers?
    Suzanne

7. Deb E says:

I write recipes like this all the time since I have so many restrictions. Love the mix and match method and big bean lover!

8. Caryn says:

Do you have approximate nutritional info for 1 bar (whatever your favorite combo is)? I’m curious to see how it compares to a store bought protein bar in terms of protein, carbs, and sugar. Thanks!

9. This is such a great recipe and since we’ve been enjoying these protein bars a lot we included this post in our Top 10 posts of 2013 to help you Eat Clean, Move Freely and Live Consciously!
    Thanks and all the best for the new year!

10. Julie says:

Looove how I can customize my own creations with this recipe. I’m starting my half marathon training soon and this will come in handy. Thanks so much!

11. Cyndy says:

Hi Susan,
    I was thrilled to find your recipe! Do you have a suggestion for an ingredient to replace the beans? I have one son who is highly allergic to all legumes and nuts so If I can adjust this recipe for him, then he will have healthy and safe protein bars for playing lacrosse and camping! Thanks very much!
    Cyndy

12. Nichole says:

Thank you so much for a formula that incorporates whole, REAL foods. I have been searching for a recipe like this for a LONG time. Much appreciated…..