Thought this was going to be one of those do-this-exact-workout and follow-this-meal-plan kinda posts? Think again! Like we do with all things here at FBG, feeling good about yourself and your body starts with one thing and one thing only: the way you treat yourself. So follow these tips to rock that swimsuit out this summer with the pride and confidence of the beautiful person that you are inside and out!
8 Tips to Boost Your Swimsuit Self-Confidence
1. Commit to ditching the fat talk and body shaming. Are you and your girlfriends always talking about what you’d like to change about your bodies? Or sitting back and commenting on other people’s bodies? Nip that talk in the bud, right now. Get your girls together and make a pact to ditch the body bashing.
2. Talk to yourself like your own best friend. In that same vein, make sure you’re on your own team—and cheering yourself up, not tearing yourself down. Be aware of your thoughts, and when a not-so-nice one pops up, tell it thanks, but no thanks.
3. Wear something that fits you—no matter the size. Forget about the size on the label. Choose a swimsuit that fits you well and that you can move in. Even the most flattering swimsuit isn’t any good if you don’t feel like you can move in it!
4. Focus on the experience. Going to the pool or the beach should be a fun time. Not one where you’re constantly readjusting your body so you look thinner in photos or worrying that you don’t look good. Give yourself permission to act like a kid and just be in the moment. Enjoy!
5. Set a goal. One of the best ways to build confidence is to set a goal and accomplish it, no matter how big or small. It can be as simple as challenging yourself to eat an extra serving of veggies with dinner most nights of the week or swapping one diet soda a day for sparkling water or even applying for that new job you have your eye on. No matter your goal, make it realistic and attainable and then be proud of your success!
6. Get grateful. We all have so many things to be grateful for. So instead of wishing you looked differently in your swimsuit, focus on all of the amazing and beautiful features you do have. Your eyes…your strong legs…your wit and compassion…your smile…the fact that you’re even alive—those (and so, SO many more) are all wonderful things to be grateful for! And ever notice how it’s hard to be unhappy when you’re grateful? Yeah, us, too.
7. Do things that bring you energy. Every day, be sure to take care of you—and be sure to do the activities that make you feel good and energized. While that’s a little different for everyone, we’re pretty sure that it includes getting good sleep, de-stressing often, exercising and eating healthy foods most of the time (all good things in moderation though!).
8. Run your own race. Being confident isn’t about comparing yourself to others to see where you stack up; it’s about doing YOUR best. So give it your all and get your self-confidence from a deeper place within yourself.
Do you feel confident in your swimsuit? Any other tips to add to our list? —Jenn