Garlic. You know it’s healthy. You know it adds flavor to so many dishes. And you know it can make your breath a little (okay, a lot) stinky. Whether you dice it, oven-roast it or even take it down raw, garlic is a serious superfood. But do you know just how super of a superfood it really is?
We recently got this list of lesser-known garlic benefits from Kyolic after Dr. Matthew Budoff, professor of medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the Director of Cardiac CT at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, found that aged garlic extract may help reverse the effects of heart disease — the first natural aid to be able to reduce harmful plaque. Read on for 10 amazing garlic benefits that are totally worth having some stinky breath over!
10 Awesome Garlic Benefits You Probably Don’t Know
1. Garlic helps to manage and normalize blood pressure and cholesterol, and has been shown to reduce the effects of heart disease.
2. Garlic is high in antioxidants, preventing a number of age-related diseases.
3. The scent of garlic in the human system wards off mosquitoes and the harmful germs they carry.
4. Garlic’s natural anti-fungal and anti-viral properties ward off colds and flu, prevent food poisoning, and effectively prevent and treat thousands of common illnesses.
5. Garlic has greatly beneficial effects on the respiratory and circulatory systems.
6. Garlic’s natural chemical ajoene treats skin infections and rash.
7. Garlic’s anti-inflammatory properties help tame allergy symptoms.
8. Garlic increases insulin release and regulates blood sugar levels in diabetics.
9. Daily intake of garlic has been found to lower risk of most types of cancer, due to allyl sulphides found in garlic.
10. Garlic has the ability to stir up the circulatory system, making it a natural aphrodisiac.
Holy garlic benefits! Which garlic benefit surprised you most? Numbers six and 10 had us going, “Really? Wow!” —Jenn