While I know there are a lot of folks out there who absolutely hate going to the gym to get their workouts in, there are oodles of others who enjoy using the machines at their local spot. It’s for these fellow gym rats that I share my current full-body workout I do on Tuesdays and Fridays each week. Enjoy!
Full-Body Workout for the Gym
As always, there’s a plan. You should do each of these compound moves three times, 12 reps each, unless it states otherwise. These are supersets remember, so make sure you do them together. (For example: do 12 squats then 15 push-ups, repeat two more times.)
- Warm up on the treadmill. Run/walk for five minutes.
- Squats using the Smith Machine/Push-ups (15 reps)
- Deadlifts with dumbbells/Flat chest-press on bar
- Step-ups with dumbbells/Tricep-rope extension on cable extension
- Lying down leg abductors with band/Tricep push-down on cable extension
- Planks (Start with three sets of planks for one minute each.)
How-to Video of the Moves
It’s always important to use the equipment properly. With that being said, I’ve found some great videos online to help you out. Always remember that gym associates are there to help, too! If you forget how to do something, don’t be afraid to ask!
- Squats using the Smith Machine: If you’re not familiar with this ask one of the employees at the gym. Start with just the 15-pound bar and keep adding weight until it’s challenging, but not painful. Make sure to squat low (at least a 90-degree angle!) Here’s a great video that demonstrates how to use the Smith Machine.
- Push-ups and step-ups: Check out Mark’s video demonstration. He’ll walk you through a regular push-up as well as the modified version.
- Deadlifts with dumbbells: You want to work out with substantial weights. Start with 10 pounds. Make sure you bend those knees and keep your back straight, shoulders back!
- Flat chest-press on bar: Watch this video!
- Tricep rope extension on cable extension machine: Notice the attachment she’s using in order to do this.
- Lying down leg abductors with band: You’ll need a band and mat for the leg abductors. See Mark’s video on how to do it here.
- Tricep push downs: Notice the attachment she’s using in order to do this move.
- Planks: If you want to switch things up week to week like I do, this video demo has some great ab exercise ideas.
Do you love the machines at the gym? Which one is your fave? And let me know if you feel the burn with this full-body workout! —Tish