Fit Bottomed Girls Podcast Episode 23: Talking Happiness With Lesley Alderman
Have you ever struggled with finding your happiness or maintaining an upbeat attitude when the world seems programmed to stress you out? (Raising my hand here!)
In this podcast episode we talked with author, editor and psychotherapist Lesley Alderman about tips to overcome negative thinking based on her article in the New York Times Well Blog: The Year of Conquering Negative Thinking.
Lesley takes patients at the New Pathways Counseling Center in Brooklyn and is an avid yoga practitioner and instructor who has taught both children and adults. We asked Lesley for her best advice on strategies for dealing with negative thoughts and handling feelings of overwhelm. (Because, we’ve all been there, right?)
Some of our favorite quotes from Lesley in this ep are …
Podcast Episode 23 Highlights With Lesley Alderman
- How to tell if you are just experiencing negative thinking or really need professional help for your moods
- How humans tend to be more like “Eeyore than Tigger,” dwelling on more bad experiences than good ones
- The power of “Socratic Questioning”
- Breathing techniques that can help you gain mindfulness
- Advice on how to stop from feeling the need to solve all of your friends’ and family’s problems (really!)
- Her favorite statistic she found writing her debut book The Book of Times
- How the “Stop Technique” can help you deal with anxious thoughts
Also in this episode, Margo, Jenn and Kristen discuss their own tips for overcoming negative self talk, Amy Cuddy’s Ted Talk on Power Poses, the awesomeness of pets and Jenn’s love for her “ear lights.”
Get the episode with Lesley Alderman here or below!
Get more info on our podcast here and be sure to subscribe on iTunes so that you never miss an episode!
So tell us, what are YOUR favorite ways to boost your mood? Tell us in the comments! —Margo