Happy Hunger, Swimming Spots and Reality Results

A grumble in the tummy may make you happy, a new site helps find your next swimming hole, and two Biggest Losers come clean about their long-term results.

Happy Grumblings

According to recent research studying the effects of ghrelin, the so-called hunger hormone, researchers now believe that hunger may actually make you happy, or at least more alert. Hmpf. That’s one I’ve never experienced. They believe the added alertness was beneficial back in caveman times where it was better to have the energy and quickness to find food instead of become food.

Although the study was done on mice, not people, the researchers hypothesize that the good-feeling from hunger could be addictive, and may explain why some anorexics have so much trouble recovering. No word on how the research will be used, but I’m sure more studies will be done. Until then, I’ll continue eating at regular intervals—that seems to keep me pretty happy.

Catch a Wave

Although most of my summer pool time is spent drinking cocktails and silently rating men’s fit bottoms, I have been thinking of adding more non-casual swim time (read: doggie paddling) to my workouts. Swimming is an awesome low-impact workout, perfect for beginners and seasoned exercisers alike. However, finding a pool—especially an indoor one—isn’t always easy. Well, at least that’s been my excuse. And, using Club Swim’s pool finder, it’s an excuse I no longer have. Turns out there are 20 pools within a five-mile radius of my house, 12 of which are indoor. Damn.

Check out Club Swim’s website below to find the closest pool to you, along with swim lesson listings.

Jump right in. The water’s fine.

Reality Confessions

Millions of people, including the Fit Bottomed Girls, have been inspired by the insane success of contestants on the reality TV show The Biggest Loser. However, the question always remains, can they keep it off after the show? Well, in a recent article by The American Council on Exercise, former contestants and newlyweds (awww) Marty and Amy (formerly Hildreth) Wolff come clean on how hard it is to keep the weight off.

Since the show’s finale (pictured above), Amy has gained 41 pounds back and Marty has gained 31 pounds. This is despite the fact that the two are now ACE-certified personal trainers and run their own fitness-consulting business. I had the pleasure of talking to Marty a few months ago, and he was more than nice and honest about how hard it is to stay at his goal weight. Maybe NBC should consider airing a Biggest Maintainers show…

Jenn

Comments

1. fatfighter says

LOVE the idea of the “Biggest Maintainers” – that really is the hardest part IMO, keeping the weight off for good.

2. tfh says

Maybe I’m just highly evolved, but hunger makes me cranky and mean. It seems like this test could easily and morally be done on people instead of mice…maybe that’s the next step?

And thanks for the pool link! My goal is to find the emptiest pool around because it is a little weird sharing a lane with three hardcore swimmers, all in their seventies, while dog-paddling for dear life…

3. Metroknow - AlmostFit.com says

No big surprise to me that they’ve gained it back, based on the way they lose it. I’ve enjoyed the show (the “find the thing in the room filled with donuts” spot was almost seizure inducing), but the extreme exercise and extreme eating leads to longterm failure, in my experience.

4. Jenn says

fatfighter: Yep! Everyone thinks that getting the weight off is hard, but the game really starts once that’s all over.

tfh: “Highly evolved,” I love that. Yes, I am, too! They should test us — I’m sure they’d get different responses. And mad props to you for swimming. I’m still pretty much a chicken ish, when it comes to braving the pool for laps.

metroknow: I remember that episode with the donuts! I almost turned it off I was grossed out. Almost.

Mark and MizFit: Hmmm…I have no LA connections. We’d have to bump up the TV factor, too. Maybe title the show “Sexiest Maintainers?”

5. Elizabeth says

I can say from personal experience that maintaining, even when done not during a extreme reality situation, is very hard. I went from college-pudgy, to a healthy lifestyle guru, to a busy grad student, to an overweight young professional… I’m trying to lose the weight again, but focusing less on the weight and more on being healthy and active… and hope that the “skinny” will just be a nice side effect… and one of my favorite ways to be active? Swimming!!! One of the reasons I got pudgy in college in the first place was that I had always exercised as a swimmer and wasn’t sure what to do with all these land-devices :)

6. Sagan Morrow says

Thanks for letting us know what happens AFTER the Biggest Loser- I was curious as to how easily these people would be able to keep it off! just goes to show that extreme measures don’t always turn into lifestyle changes.

And sometimes when I’m hungry I actually AM more alert and cheery- but usually I’m just grouchy and cookiethinking when I’m hungry:)

7. Anonymous says

wow i like this type of journalism…i’m glad someone went after the real story after those folks were put thru such a crazy unnatural situation. while it may seem like a bummer that they gained it still seems as though they’re choosing a different and more healthy lifestyle and that’s enough to inspire even me!!!

8. Jenn says

Elizabeth: You’ve got a great plan. And I hear your club has a great pool! ;)

Sagan: I wish they did follow-ups on ALL of the BL contestants. How interesting would that be?!

Anon: I agree. Marty and Amy definitely improved their health, regardless if they put a few pounds back on. It’s crazy what people can do in a short amount of time with prize money at stake and lots of TV cameras around. ;)