Crash Diets, BBQ Tips, and Baby Weight

Crash diets show promise (?!), tips to surviving your next barbecue, and a pregnant pause.

Crash Into Me

Credit: malias

Credit: malias

A new report says that “sensible” crash diets (read: no lower than 1,200 cals a day for ladies) may be better for weight loss than the slow-and-steady approach because dieters see faster results and are encouraged by their success. Also, researchers note that some people do better with crash diets’ hard and fast rules rather than open access to all foods. I can see the case for that. However, other researchers caution that extreme crash dieting can lead to eating disorders. Ay yi yi.

Since we’re all about everything in moderation, we didn’t particularly like this finding but had to share. If for nothing other than good discussion. So, please, discuss!

BBQ 911

Credit: ReneS

Credit: ReneS

Tis the season for barbecues, and with barbecues come red meat, white buns, heavy sides and creamy dips. Not exactly a Fit Bottomed Girls’ BFF, right?

Well, sort of. Besides always bringing the fruit and veggie tray or wheat buns, there are ways to eat healthy at a barbecue and still have fun. For me, I’m happiest with a turkey dog with mustard, a huge wedge of watermelon and a light beer, followed by washers or bean-bag toss to stretch the legs. Nothing makes me happier. Read on for some more tips to getting through that next get-together. I particularly enjoy the tip that uses your cell phone to measure out your protein.

Other tips to surviving the BBQ.

Bun in the Oven

Credit: meemal

Credit: meemal

I’d always heard that when you’re pregnant, you should gain about 25-35 pounds. Within the context of GROWING A PERSON INSIDE YOU that seems fair, and lets you eat as much ice cream and Chinese as you crave while still being under “doctor’s orders.” However, for the first time, new guidelines from The National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine state that not everyone should gain the same amount of lbs to be healthy. For those with a BMI greater than 30, weight gain should be limited to just 11 to 20 pounds, the Institute says.

Since I’ve never had a baby in my belly, I’m no expert, but it makes sense that those with a higher BMI would want to gain less weight for both the mom’s and the baby’s health. All you moms out there, what do you think?

That darn baby weight.

Jenn

Comments

1. Moonlight Dancer says

I just bought a new bbq sauce that is sweetened with agave nectar (low glycemic) my mother is diabetic so we all try to help her out, it was excellent tasting. We did chicken with it and everyone liked it, even my dad who resists any organic/natural stuff out there. LOL

It's made from a company called Organicville.

2. Lissa says

I like the 1200 calorie study! I don't consider anything above 1400 "crash" dieting for most women – as a personal trainer and fitness competitor, this seems to be an average amount to keep the metabolism humming while stripping bodyfat.

As for the pregnancy weight gain, I'm 22 weeks preggo with my first. I started at 150 and now weigh 173. I was dieting for a competition before I knew I was preggo, so my bodyfat was at 16%. I also read that underweight individuals can gain more while overweight individuals should gain less. However, I'm exercising 5x per week and eating healthy, and I am averaging 5 lbs. weight gain every month. Doing the math, I'll be at least 45 lbs. heavier by my due date!

3. Jody - Fit at 51 says

I am not a fan of this 1200 calorie thing. Yes, you may lose quicker but what happens when you start eating again & have not figured out how to really handle that. For me, 1200 calories is way to little to get me thru the day but I do work out A LOT! I know a lot of diet programs work this 1200 calorie a day thing but for me, I rather exercise a bit more so I can eat more.. just me. Ya got to do what works for you!

As for the BBQ, I always bring something for myself just in case. :-)

4. sandy429 says

I was pregnant at the same time as a coworker. I would have cantalouple for breakfast & gained 30 pounds. She would have donuts or ice cream and gained 80+ pounds. Guess who is now super fit and trim and who still has 80+ pounds to lose!

5. Lissa says

Jody – Different things definitely work for different people. When I'm training for competition, I lift hard 5 times a week and do high-intensity gymnastics training 3 times a week. Even with all that, if my calories are higher than about 1500 I will not lose bodyfat.

Caloric intake is all relative to one's metabolism, as well as activity output. If your metabolism is slower, then 1400 may be too high for some people. Many women can eat around 1400 and not be hungry, especially when eating 6 meals a day of nutrient-dense foods.

6. lorrwill says

"Sensible Crash Diet" sounds like a oxymoron-psycholinguistic puzzle to make your mind shut down.

Actually, wouldn't sensible in this case be no lower than BMR? (If that is an accurate measure.)