You live and you learn. That’s probably the best saying to sum up college life, isn’t it? You do a bunch of stuff, take a lot of classes and learn both from the books and the life experiences (hey, even the worst ones always teach us something!). Since it’s Fit Bottomed College Week here on FBG, today we thought it would be fun to share a little advice to those in college now. So read on for the advice and tips we wish we had gotten (and followed, obviously) back in the day!
15 Healthy College Tips
1. Ditch the daily weigh-in. We beg you to please break up with your scale and stop determining your worth by your pant size. You are sooo much more than that!
2. Eat healthy most of the time. Follow the 80/20 Rule where you eat healthy 80 percent of the time and splurge the other 20 percent. And, yes, that includes booze.
3. Order pizza at midnight when you’re starving and studying for that mid-term with your girlfriends. Those will be some of your best memories (and definitely worth spending your 20 percent on!).
4. Laugh A LOT. Be silly and never take yourself too seriously.
5. Be easy on yourself. Love yourself unconditionally.
6. Know that you don’t have to drink to have a good time. Also, you know that song “We Don’t Have to Take Our Clothes Off?” Well, that one is true, too, and definitely in the same vain/vein.
7. Find out what activities you love. Try as much stuff as you can. You just might find a sport or hobby that’ll keep you healthy for a lifetime!
8. Teach yourself to cook. This is probably the first time you’re really in charge of feeding yourself. Do it the right way by trying new healthy recipes often!
9. Take advantage of the college rec center. They’re usually pretty awesome and there just for you! (Here’s proof.)
10. Go to class. I know we sound like your mom. But she’s right. Going to class is good for you—and someday in the future you’ll probably miss it.
11. Have random dance parties. Turn on your favorite guilty pleasure tunes and dance your heart out.
12. Enjoy the walk to class. One day after college you’ll walk outside, feel the crisp fall air and wish you were walking to class and not commuting to work. Promise.
13. Use the 24/7 waffle maker or soft-serve ice-cream machine sparingly. It’s fun every once in a while, but doesn’t make for a great regular dinner.
14. Get out of your dorm room. Dorm-room workouts are awesome but getting out with friends on campus—hiking, biking, rock climbing, playing sports, etc.—are good for the body and the soul!
15. Soak it all in. It’ll be over before you know it.
What advice would you add to this list? —Jenn