★FitStars: An Interview with Bob Harper

BobHarper2009585Erin and I could not be more giddy to introduce today’s FitStar. Heck, we even made a countdown for him, complete with floating happy hearts. Bob Harper is best known as the blue team’s trainer on the crazy-successful and inspiring reality TV show The Biggest Loser. He not only helps transform people’s bodies and lives, but he also stars in all of The Biggest Loser Workout DVDs (look for the full review of the two most recent titles—Boot Camp and Weight Loss Yoga—tomorrow). Plus, he routinely makes Erin and I’s knees all wobbly. Below is our Q&A with him. He’s inspiring, so be sure to read all the way through. We make him blush. Teehee.

FBG:Do you design the workouts on The Biggest Loser DVDs? How similar are the workouts to those done on the Ranch?

BH:The workouts that you see on the DVDs are the kind of workouts that I put my contestants through on The Biggest Loser.

FBG: A lot of people in the industry consider yoga to be a supplement to regular cardio and strength training. What are your views on how yoga fits in a regular exercise program, and why did you decide to do add a yoga DVD to The Biggest Loser DVD collection?

BH: I think yoga is one of the best workouts for your mind and your body. I do a lot of yoga with my contestants, and I thought it would be a great addition to the BL workouts. Yoga utilizes your own body weight when working out, and it not only works on your flexibility, which is good for keeping the body agile and young, but it is a great body-conditioning workout also.

FBG: What’s your favorite The Biggest Loser Workout DVD to date? What’s on tap for future DVDs?

BH: I was really excited to do the BL Yoga workout because it is different, and it will introduce yoga to a whole new group of people. I also just love the Boot Camp workout. They are just so effective and fun.

FBG: What’s a typical day look like for you in terms of work, exercise and personal time? Is it hard to squeeze in your own workouts?

BH:Workouts in my schedule take a top priority. I usually get my workout done first thing in the morning. Then I usually have to be at work at around 10 a.m. and if I have the energy, I will take a spin class in the evening before dinner. I love to work out. It is a major stress reliever.

FBG:
What’s the most challenging part of being a trainer on The Biggest Loser?

BH: I would have to say the very rigorous schedule is the biggest challenge of being a trainer on BL. The job is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. On camera and off. These contestants are without their friends and family, and I have to be not only their trainer but their nutritionist, friend, mother, father, therapist…It takes a lot out of me but with that said, I LOVE MY JOB!!!

FBG:Can you tell from the first day of a season if someone is going to make it to the finale?

BH: I have learned to never underestimate ANYONE that comes on our show. People have very big awakenings at any given time when they are on BL. There are definitely people that stand out in the beginning, but I have seen people that came out of nowhere and have gone all the way.

FBG:Obviously the contestants on the show learn a great deal from you, and you become very close with them. What have you learned from the contestants?

BH:I think the main thing that I have learned from my contestants is very simple: Triumph of the spirit. There is nothing you can’t do when you put your mind to it and when you decide that you want to change your life and make a difference, you can do anything!!! These contestants inspire me every day!!!

FBG:

BH: LOL!!! Wow, that is such a compliment. I have to tell you that I really do love what I do and I guess it shows. I like to take care of myself so thank you for noticing. I really do believe that I have to practice what I preach and now at 43, I am in the best shape of my life and want to be around for a very long time. I think I’m blushing right now….

FBG: What’s the best part of your job?

BH:The best part of my job is sitting with someone in the very beginning that has gotten so far off their track of life and guide them back on course. That to me is the greatest reward of what I do. I get to give people hope. I make people believe in themselves again. That is what life is all about, getting another chance AND taking it.

FBG:Obviously losing weight in the real world is different than on the show. Any advice for people out there trying to lose weight?

BH: I tell people to start off small and not change everything all at once. Realize that you are making a “lifestyle change” and not looking for a quick fix. When you begin to make small changes, you start to feel the difference and then you can grow from there. I really do think that if you try to do too much too soon, you can set yourself up for failure. Remember, today is the first day of the rest of your life and, most of all, you are worth it!!!

Sigh. He’s wonderful. And 43?! I would have never guessed! —Jenn

Want more inspiring words from fitness celebs? Check out our interview with Kathy Smith and the first female The Biggest Loser winner Ali Vincent!

Comments

1. MizFit says:

(jealous) love the interview (jealous) how fun that you had the chance to actually TALK TO HIM (jealous) and thanks for sharing with us (jealous).

2. Jess says:

Awesome interview girls! I love Bob and Jillian both and seriously can not pick out a favorite.

What did you girls think about last night’s episode? That Laura girl annoyed me like crazy. I’m glad she’s gone, but feel like she’ll be back. And how cute are Estella and Jerry!

3. moonduster says:

I would have never guessed he was 43 either!

4. choosinglosing says:

Great interview! I especially loved this: FBG: A number of our readers (including us) are rather smitten with you. What’s it like to be a fitness sex symbol?

Girl you got cohunes! But seriously 43?!?! Who would have guessed! He is gorgeous!

I didn’t know they had a biggest loser fitness DVD. I will have to check that out!

5. Brooke says:

43?!?! I never would have guessed! I only watch the show to see him anyways- I could care less who wins. He is HOT and inspiring!

6. Alli says:

Fantastic interview! I am so happy for you and so proud at how far you have come! Keep it up!

7. Marcy says:

Ooooooo la la! Nice interview ladies!! He’s 43?!? Wowzer! I would have never guessed!

8. ohsheglows.com says:

Ohh wonderful interview!!! He sure doesn’t look 43…I would have guessed 38 maybe.

Angela

9. Jim says:

Great interview. I love the Biggest Loser and was looking forward to last nights now.

Also posted a few quotes from Bob’s interview on Twitter. I want to do what Bob and Jillian do… Give people hope and change their lives!

Search Twitter for “Jillian” OR “Biggest Loser” “Bob Harper”: http://tinyurl.com/8coeqs

10. tfh says:

I never wanted the interview to end! I want BH to be my trainer, nutritionist, friend, mother, father, and therapist! (just kidding, mom and dad.)

I can’t wait to check out his yoga DVD.

11. Roblynn and Rebekah says:

I don’t usually watch tv but after reading your blog decided to tune into the show last night. My 15 yr old laughed because I started crying when these people were trying to get over the sand! I thought they were awesome and very brave for sure. Also 43 is not really that old 🙂

12. Kim says:

Great Q&A!

I was actually shocked when I saw that he was 43, wow!!

13. Amy @ Live Well says:

Yep, I’m agreeing with MizFit…Jealous, Jealous, Jealous. But in a good way of course! 😀

14. Elizabeth says:

Great interview! I love that Bob’s answers are exactly like I imagined him to be from watching the show and doing the DVDs. Seriously, I love all of the workout stuff he leads–he makes me feel not so stupid and awkward… Kudos for the awesome catch!

15. BEELifestyle says:

43!! He’s such a FOX! And I love that you had the sac to tell him so- I would’ve probably sat there making indistinguishable sounds (something along the affect of “hummmina hummmina hummmina.”

Thanks for the interview, one of my favorites!

16. fitforfree says:

love it!! I hope I’m in the best shape of my life in my 40s 😉

17. Dara Chadwick says:

Great interview! I might be inspired to finally try yoga if Bob were leading the class.

18. Laura says:

What a cool interview! He is pretty dreamy. 🙂 I love how you can see that both he and Jillian really care so much about the contestants.

19. Jenn says:

So glad that you guys enjoyed the interview as much as we did. We’re still swooning from it!

20. Tina says:

Such a cool interview! Thanks for sharing!

21. HangryPants says:

Wow 43! Who knew?

I love how he loves yoga. I heart Bob.

22. ttfn300 says:

only 43? wow. how cool is he!

23. deb says:

LOVE the interview. Bob is one of my favorite trainers in the world (though I personally know some great ones, too). Cute cute with a winning smile. Don’t know why so many commenters are surprised he’s 43; we who work out all look younger than our natural years.

Got to talk to Jillian a couple years ago (at BlogHer 07), she was kick-butt, too. And her arms were mesmerizing.

Didn’t watch last season of BL, but I’ve started this one again. Can tell a few that will won’t make it to the end, but haven’t picked my likely winners.

24. Meg says:

Wow… again, I’m echoing all of the comments here, but 43??!?!! Wow… I actually thought he was only early thirty-ish….

25. Yum Yucky says:

I soooo have a crush on Bob. My hubby knows so it’s OK. 🙂

26. Juliet says:

Wow. You are so lucky!!! I love biggest loser.

27. {cher} says:

He is such a gentle, positive soul that isn't afraid to tell it how it is. I'm glad I came back to read this interview. I adore Bob & Jillian and have watched BL religiously since the beginning.

Great interview gals!! As far as being 43, that just proves what taking care of yourself can be the fountain of youth!!!

28. Natural Remedies says:

Take control of your health, first identify the problem with professional lab tests online, then start feeling better with high quality natural health remedies and nutritional supplements.

29. Mary says:

Wow, great interview, I loved it! How exciting to be able to do this and talk to someone really helping others meet their goals. Thanks!!

30. Jayjay says:

OMG I love Bob!!!!
    I'm not big into buying fitness DVDs (How many times can you do them before you know the entire routine by heart) and since I'll probably never get to train with Bob personally….

I highly recommend his free workouts on http://www.exercisetv.tv. My friend who knows of my love of Bob sent it to me a few months ago. You go to their site and get a free workout from Bob! (And Jillian and more trainers too!) Loves it and loves Bob!!!

31. Usman Pasha Siddiqui says:

This was awesome!!!ie

32. sigh…..I’m so jealous you got to talk to him…he is only 3 years older than me!
    Also…my maiden name is Harper….lol