Jillian Michaels, isn’t just a tough trainer from The Biggest Loser. She’s a bestselling author (check in tomorrow for a review of her book) and now has her own upcoming show on NBC, Losing It with Jillian. Now Jillian is jumping into the nutritional waters, introducing a line of weight-control supplements. She says she’s always been an advocate of supplements for boosting metabolic function and supporting weight-loss, and she took matters into her own hands to help make a product that is made with natural ingredients.
While the FBGs always take our multivitamins to be on the safe side, Jillian’s supplements—dubbed the QuickStart Rapid Weight Loss System—are aimed at appetite control and fat burning. Always skeptical journalists, we went to Jillian herself to get the scoop. While she ducked some of our juicy Biggest Loser questions, she gladly gave us her thoughts on her new supplement system.
- FBG: Why did you feel the need to create a supplement line?
- Jillian Michaels: I’ve been doing this for a lot of years. As many people know, before I became a successful TV trainer, life coach and author, I was just another overweight kid with low self-esteem. So believe me, I know what being overweight is all about. But I took the necessary steps to change my life. I finally overcame, and I wanted to help make it possible for others to do so. For quite some time I’ve been searching for compounds that would help overcome the two greatest pitfalls to successful weight loss: first, not having the willpower to actually reduce your caloric intake (follow a diet plan); and second, not seeing and feeling results quickly enough to motivate you to continue toward a healthier life. My new products are designed to cut through all the diet jargon and help you get the results you want.
- FBG: What makes your supplement line different from what’s currently on the market?
- JM: In the first place, they actually work! As you likely are aware, there are a lot of fly-by-night companies in the weight-loss business. But I wouldn’t put my name on a product unless I truly believed in it and in its quality. The compounds we use are proprietary and unique, and the extractions are the purest available. That may not sound that impressive, but you truthfully can’t get this quality and composition of ingredients anywhere else in the world. In making effective, natural weight-loss formulations, the important thing is the active compounds have to be as pure as possible, and be the same compound or herb as in the published studies showing them to be effective. AND the extraction process must be the same high quality as used in the clinical studies. Quality control is therefore extremely important. Putting all of these things together is a time-consuming and very exacting process.
- FBG: Because supplements aren’t regulated by the FDA, how are you ensuring that your supplements are effective, natural and safe?
- JM: Because of my TV connections, I’ve been lucky enough to have access to some of the best bariatric scientists in the field. Over the past few years, I’ve spoken personally to some of the leading experts in the field of obesity from around the world. I know what the problems are, and kept on asking the experts, “Are there any natural compounds that will really help reduce caloric intake and help withfat burning?” The experts I spoke to kept on pointing to these two formulations (the Calorie Control and Fat Burner compounds). So I read about them, asked around, read the studies, spoke to more experts, and I firmly believe these are the absolute best natural compounds to help people who want to lose weight.
- FBG: Should most people who are trying to get fit or drop some pounds take supplements? Do they need to if they’re eating healthy and hitting the gym?
- JM: You know I’m going to tell you that exercise is extremely important, for two reasons: First, it makes you look good. Exercise tones your body and helps give you attractive muscular structure and curves. This boosts self-esteem and makes you want to keep doing it. Second, exercise makes you healthy. It’s good for you. There is simply no substitute for regular strenuous exercise (if you’re in otherwise good health). Interestingly enough, overweight people often have more muscle mass because they’ve built up muscle to carry around all that extra weight. The key is getting rid of the excess fat hiding what could be a rock hard, lean, trim body underneath. And in many cases you simply can’t exercise your way to significant weight loss. That begins with caloric restriction. That’s where my new Calorie Control supplement comes in. It helps reduce your caloric intake automatically, so you’re actually dieting without feeling like you are. As you lose the excess weight, you start looking and feeling better and want to keep working hard. Plus, exercise becomes easier as you start to drop excess pounds and get lighter.
A big thanks to Jillian for breaking it down for us. Hopefully we can get youback in the FitStars hot seat so we can askour burning Biggest Loserquestions! Be sure to check back tomorrow for more Jillian content, including a review of her book, Master Your Metabolism, and her latest DVDs. —Erin