Yesterday we shared with you five new healthy Super Bowl snacks to try. And today? Well, we’re giving you a mouth-watering recipe—no, really, they’re hot!—for Teriyaki Chicken Wings with Hot Mango Dipping Sauce. A big thanks to Registered Dietitian Sarah Ladden and Stevia in the Raw for the below tasty Super Bowl recipe that’s certainly healthier than your usual chicken wings…
Perfect Super Bowl Recipe: Teriyaki Chicken Wings with Hot Mango Dipping Sauce
Brushing several times with an all-natural sauce gives these baked wings intense flavor and crunchy skin. The chile-spiked fruit dipping sauce makes the perfect partner.
Chicken Wings Ingredients
1/2 c reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 c mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1/3 c Stevia In The Raw Baker’s Bag
2 tbsp defrosted orange juice concentrate
2 garlic cloves, sliced lengthwise
3/4-inch fresh ginger, in 3 slices
16 chicken wings, about 3 1/4 pounds
1. In small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients. Boil sauce over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Cool sauce to room temperature. If desired, remove garlic and ginger, transfer sauce to tightly covered container, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 425° F. Line baking pan, 15” x 11” or larger, with foil. Coat two (10” x 10”) wire racks with cooking spray and set in the pan, overlapping them.
3. Cut off first joint of chicken wings and discard. Arrange wings in prepared baking pan in one layer, smooth side up. Bake wings for 10 minutes. Brush wings on both sides with sauce and bake, smooth side up, for 5 minutes.
4. Brush with sauce again and bake, underside up, for 5 minutes. Brush wings a third time and bake, smooth side up, for 5 minutes. Brush wings again, and bake, underside up, for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 400° F. Brush tops of wings with sauce and bake, topside up, for 10 minutes.
5. Arrange wings on serving plate. Discard any remaining sauce. Serve accompanied by Hot Mango Dipping Sauce.
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
1 c diced fresh mango
2 tbsp brown mustard
2 tbsp orange marmalade fruit spread
2 packets Stevia In The Raw
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 /8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 /2 tsp salt
1 /8 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp chopped scallions
1. In mini-food processor, whirl all sauce ingredients except scallions together until smooth. Transfer sauce to bowl and garnish with scallions. Makes eight (two-tablespoon) servings.
Nutrition information per serving (2 wings plus 2 tablespoons dipping sauce): 127 calories, 2 g fat (<1 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrate, 14 g protein, 0 g dietary fiber, 645 mg sodium.
What a tasty way to get some protein without all the calories you usually see in chicken wings. What’s your favorite healthy Super Bowl recipe? Share it in the comments—we’d love to hear what you make that’s FBG-approved! —Jenn