Sautéed Baby Kale with Apples Recipe
½ green apple with skin on, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon best quality extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounces baby kales, rinsed but not dried
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. Slice apple into thin slices leaving skin on. Set aside while you cook the kale.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot with a lid. Add the garlic and cook one minute. Add the kale and toss to coat with the oil and garlic. Cover and cook until the kale is just wilted, bright green and stems have softened, about two to three minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Gently fold in sliced apples and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to evenly distribute apple and seasonings.
Baby Kale, Avocado and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
4 cups packed baby kale, washed, cleaned and dried
1 cup pea shoots, washed, cleaned and dried
½ cup pomegranate seeds, (buy them already seeded!)
2 tablespoon best quality extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 medium-sized avocado, cubed
⅓ cup water
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Place kale in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil. Massage the oil into the kale using your hands for 1 minute (don’t miss this step!).
2. Add vinegar and toss to coat. Add remaining ingredients, setting aside a small handful of pomegranate seeds to garnish and gently toss salad adding salt and pepper to taste.
Have you tried baby kale yet? Which baby kale recipe is your favorite? —Linda LaRue