You guys know how we feel about being “bikini-ready,” right? (If not, read this, stat!)
Who says swimsuits are only for the fit elite or models? And that beach and pool time has to mean feeling uncomfortable, self-conscious and either totally covered up or totally exposed? Not us! We think swimsuits are for all! Women of all shapes, sizes, fitness levels, ages — all! And with that in mind, we thought we’d share seven places to shop for swimsuits that better embrace that philosophy. It’s not about “looking hot” or hiding this or that; it’s about feeling good in what you’re wearing and playing up your best features — no matter if you’re relaxing with a little reading at the pool or you’re playing a wicked game of beach volleyball. (And, bonus! Since we’re coming up on the last month of unofficial summer, a lot of these places are having big sales!)
7 Places to Shop for the Perfect Swimsuit for You
1. Fit 4 U. Want a one-stop online shop for your perfect swimsuit needs? This would be it. With hundreds of styles to choose from, including plus sizes and special tops for those with a larger lady lumps, this site is all about fitting you and accentuating the best of what your mama gave ya.
2. Swimsuitsforall.com. With tons of collections to choose from, you can find a suit that’s totally fit or totally girlie or high-fashion. We particularly like Aquabelle, which is actually chlorine-resistant! Great for the regular swimmers in the house.
3. Lolë. Erin’s been a big Lolë beachwear fan for years, and with good reasons. Although sizes only go up to XL in a lot of their swimsuits, they hit just that right mix of sporty and fashionable with lots of fun options for one-pieces, two-pieces and cover-ups. Plus, they’re sold as separates so you can get the right fit — top and fit bottom.
4. FigLeaves.com. No, they don’t actually sell fig leaves (wouldn’t that be a fun swimsuit), but they do offer a ton of different suits that work for pretty much every body from double Ds up top to maternity to plus-sized to sports-specific. You can even shop by body type!
5. Calavera. This LA-based brand of swimwear is all about outfitting the active gal with suits that stay put, whether you’re surfing, swimming, taking water bootcamp or running around the beach. Feminine and flattering, they don’t offer sizes larger than XL, but you can shop by size, measurement or cup size, which is great for finding your best and most accurate fit.
6. Lime Ricki. If you want to go a little vintage with your swimwear, this is the swimwear spot. We’re smitten with its fashionable one-pieces (pretty sure I need this suit in my life!). They also have some fab swim tops that work as cover-ups or serve as rash-guard. You know, for those surfing lessons!
7. NAYAD. Hard to fit? NAYAD creates custom swimwear designed for women of all ages so that they can move well in and out of the water. Meaning, you take your measurements, send them to the company and they make a suit just for your body. You can select your top and bottom style and desired print/color combination. Talk about customized for your fit bottom! They even have pieces that transition well from the pool to yoga to tennis!
When’s the last time you bought a swimsuit? And where did you get it? —Jenn