We love a good Tabata workout because you can really torch some calories in a short amount of time. So imagine our excitement when we heard from Women’s Health magazine that its 2016 “Next Fitness Star” Nikki Metzger wanted to give us her favorite Tabata routine.
Nikki hails from Chicago and now runs her BODI fitness studio in Scottsdale, Ariz. She is passionate about helping everyone get healthy and this Tabata workout is guaranteed to get your heart pumping while working multiple muscle groups. Get ready to be sweaty!
For this workout you will work out hard for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds four times for a total of eight rounds. Rest for one minute between each round.
- Lateral shuffles with reach: Start with your feet about shoulder width apart, knees bent, chest upright and hands in front of your chest. Keeping your feet parallel, take two or three quick shuffle steps to the right, then rotate your torso to the right as you reach your left hand toward your right foot. Reverse the movement to return to the starting position, then immediately repeat on the other side. Continue alternating as quickly as possible.
- Burpees: Start standing then quickly squat down to jump your feet back into a push-up position. Add a push-up then reverse the movement to return to standing adding a jump on top.
Rest 1 minute
- Rotating T-extensions with push-up: Start in a push-up position. Keeping your core engaged, shift your weight to your right arm rotating your torso to the left and extending your arm toward the ceiling so your body backs a T. Return to start position and do a push-up. Repeat on other side.
- Squat jump turns: Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, hands hanging at sides. Squat down until your knees are bent about 90 degrees. Immediately swing your arms over your head and jump while turning 90 degrees as high as you can. As you land, gently bend your knees and melt back down to the squat position.
Rest 1 minute
- Fast feet: Start with your feet about shoulder-width apart, knees bent, chest upright and hands in front of your chest. Keeping your feet parallel, move your feet in place as fast as you can.
- Plank jack and knee tuck: Get into a push-up position with your hands flat on the floor directly under your shoulders and your legs extended, feet together. Keeping your core tight and your body in a straight line from head to heels, jump your feet away from each other (like you would for a jumping jack), landing lightly on your toes. Quickly return to start. Then jump your feet to the inside of your hands, then back to start position.
Rest 1 minute
- Alternate toe touch: Lie on your back with your arms and legs extended so that your body forms an X. In one movement, lift your left leg and torso off the ground while rotating your upper body to the left, reaching your right hand toward your left foot. Slowly reverse the movement to return to start, and repeat on the other side. Continue alternating.
- Tuck jumps: Start by squatting down slightly, arms behind you. Swing your arms forward and catapult your legs up, tucking your knees to your chest. Land softly and keep repeating.
Do you enjoy a good Tabata workout, too? —Margo