It’s September, and your favorite coffee shop is probably brewing everything pumpkin-flavored right now. But — move over, PSLs — we have a new twist on pumpkin that is way better. And way healthier for you. Say hello to this Gingered Pumpkin Smoothie recipe. AKA, your new favorite fall drink.
This deliciously fall recipe comes from Dr. Drew Ramsey’s new book, Eat Complete. And, like his Cast-Iron Steak Dinner With Buttery Cauliflower Mash recipe we recently ran on Fit Bottomed Eats, it’s pretty much perfection.
I don’t know about you but my zen-producing morning ritual of sipping on a green smoothie was getting old. But this creamy and spicy Gingered Pumpkin Smoothie recipe is shaking things up in a really great way. Plus, how brilliant is it to use canned pumpkin?!
- 1 cup 100 percent pure organic canned pumpkin
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup plain, 2 percent yogurt or plain kefir
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 4 ice cubes
- ½ cup cold water
- Place the pumpkin, orange, carrot, yogurt or plain kefir, sunflower seeds, cashews, ginger, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, curry powder and pepper (if using) in a blender along with the ice cubes and cold water and process until smooth. Divide evenly between two glasses and serve immediately.
Have you ever put pumpkin in your smoothie? This is a first for me, but it’s definitely not the last! —Jenn