Jeremiah Brent’s 5 Best Entertaining Tips (and a Signature Cocktail Recipe)
I first remember “meeting” Jeremiah Brent on an episode of “The Rachel Zoe Project” back in 2011. And he was totally adorable and totally brilliant. And went on to not only launch his own interior design firm and host TV shows, but also to marry and have kiddos with Nate Berkus.
I mean, you can imagine how amazing that house is, right? And no doubt that when they entertain, they do it RIGHT.
We recently got some of Jeremiah’s best entertaining tips — and one of his favorite cocktail recipes — to share from his work with Cointreau.
“Like Cointreau, I believe that there is an art to entertaining with hand-crafted cocktails at the forefront,” he says. “When I entertain at home, whether with close friends or family, I love to craft fresh cocktails with seasonal ingredients to lend a personal touch and set the tone for a curated evening.”
Read on to get inspired to host a soirée of your own with his best tips!
Jeremiah Brent’s 5 Best Entertaining Tips
1. Consider decor. “The art of entertaining, at its core, surrounds the marriage of good food and even better friends,” Brent says. “But what truly elevates a gathering is the humbling experience of bringing people together with a well-rounded ambiance. I always try to keep it personal and incorporate my passions into the decor as well as crafting a bespoke cocktail for any soirée.”
2. Whip up a fresh cocktail. “No soirée is complete without fresh cocktails,” he says. “My go-to entertaining cocktail is the margarita — so simple and easy to make with just three ingredients: Cointreau, blanco tequila and lime juice. Change it up with fresh cut jalapeño peppers or sliced cucumbers to add a twist to the perfect summer sip.”
3. Make your tablescape a statement piece. “To me, the tablescape is a statement piece for the whole night,” Brent says. “I love a neutral color palette but I always keep it interesting by playing with different layers and textures. For summer soirées I love to lift the spirits with some accent colors in the decor. A terra-cotta fringed table runner or a mix of patterned throw pillows can go a long way to keep everyone feeling inspired.”
4. Pairing the right food with the perfect cocktail. “When working with bright and fresh ingredients, like citrus, your food can work as the perfect complement to your tablescape and provide your guest with a well-rounded experience.”
5. Set the tone for the night with a curated playlist. Brent says: “I always keep in mind the narrative of the atmosphere — you never want it to feel overpowering but I try to make sure it’s upbeat enough to keep the night going.”
Besides the margarita, want another one of Brent’s fave cocktails? Try the simple yet sophisticated Water Lily!
- 1.5 oz. Blanc Vermouth
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- 0.5 oz. Lime juice
- 2 oz. sparkling water
- Build all ingredients over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
Ever thrown an epic party with the right cocktail? What was it? Y’all know about my fogcutters and the shrimp boil! —Jenn