New Ear Buddies

I have freakishly small ears. I went more than two decades blissfully unaware of this fact. That was until I bought an iPod and discovered that the Apple-issued ear buds were not compatible with my ear holes. No matter what I did to position them correctly, they would pop out. I’ve spent too much time during runs tracking down a stray ear bud, putting it back in position while the other ear expels the other bud. When they pop out simultaneously, I feel like my head may explode.

I bought a cheap headband-style set so I wouldn’t have to deal with the ear bud issue. It couldn’t pop off my head, fortunately, but it never really fit in my ears either. Then on a recent jog, it shorted out, leaving me with sound in only one ear. I was left with no choice but to buy new ones.

I debated buying a pair of ear buds that were from the same family as the ones that fall out of my ears. They were surrounded in rubber, making me think they might “stick” in my ears. Smart me, however, decided to splurge and spend the $20 for a different pair of JVC “marshmallow” headphones.

Photobucket

I’m so happy with my purchase. The sponge-like buds expand in your ears for ultimate staying power. I actually did a happy dance when I realized they wouldn’t be falling out of my head—and they stayed during the whole vigorous jig. They come in a rainbow of colors to suit anyone’s taste. Small ear-hole freaks unite! —Erin

Comments

1. tfh says:

These look perfect for me! I don’t think I’m quite a small earhole freak (although I am freakish in other ways) but my earbuds definitely pop out whenever I work up a vigorous ear sweat or when it’s raining. Which lately is always.

2. Lori says:

Cool, thanks for mentioning. I have the same problem. I bought a pair of Sony head phones that have the 3 different sizes of buds. They work well, but these sound like they might even be better.

3. WeightingGame says:

this could have been written by me! I thought I was the only one who couldn’t use those regular ear buds. I don the headband style and have been very happy with them. Thank you for helping me realize I am not alone.

4. Marcy says:

I’ve been having probs with this as well . . .thanks for the linky. I think I’ll have to pick up a pair 🙂

5. Morgan says:

Oooh I came across your blog from Erica’s blog and WOW I’m glad I did- I totally have the same earbud problem. That’s so perfect that they expand in your ears…like earplugs…must get them!

6. Mark Salinas says:

I bought some ear buds and hate them….if you walk only they are fine. Any hard movement they come out! They stink! 🙂

Btw…I did my first yoga class ever today…yay!

7. Sagan says:

Earphones drive me totally crazy. I can never run with music because they always fall out. So I guess its a good thing I don’t run all that often:) Clearly I need to go shopping for proper-fitting ones!

8. Erin says:

I’m sad there’s an earbud epidemic, but I’m glad I’m not the only one!

9. Danica says:

My earbuds fall out when I sweat… I know so I don’t know if these would work for me, but I do know the over the earbuds work better… And I’m sorry you have freakishly small ears.. ha ha, hilarious!

10. Jen says:

OMG! Ill fitting ear buds are my pet peeve! Thans for sharing useful info. I’ll definitely keep in mind for my next ear phone purchase.

Right now I have the Motorola S9 Stereo wireless bluetooth headset and love em. B/c in addition to comfy buds, I also like not having a pesky cord. They stay on my head fairly decently, are sweat resistant, and did I mention, they don’t have a wire!

11. Tanya says:

Another “small-eared can’t wear ear buds girl” here. I use the headband style ear buds and that works great!

12. Caz says:

Thanks for the tip! I don’t know if my ears are freakishly small (although they are on the small-side) but ipod earphones NEVER stay in my ears either. Will need to try these ones!
    I HATE going for runs with one earphone always falling out. Being too cheap I’ve sufficed with looking like a tool by wearing a headband slightly over the tops of my ears, which somehow helps the earphones in. But I hate looking like a tool.

13. Kelly says:

Thank you from another gal with very small ears! I will be getting a pair of these!

14. Lindsey says:

It's funny, I tried these and had the exact opposite reaction. They wouldn't stay in at all, especially when I started to sweat. I spent the majority of my workout with my fingers to my ears holding them in, haha! But then again I've never had any problems with the normal earbuds, so maybe for everyone it's either one or the other?

15. Michelle says:

I love this post!! I have teeny ears and can never use the buds, I am going to try these out. Thank you for sharing!

16. Fyndy says:

I had the same problem. I always found the foam ones more comfy and fit better, especially when they come with different size foam buds. But, word to the wise!
    You should really buy a good pair of over the ear ones.

Earbuds are really bad for your ear health overall, since most people tend to blast their music. Make sure when you have your earbuds in, that you can hear a conversation from 10 feet away. If not, your music is too loud and you could be setting yourself up for permanent hearing loss.

Take this from the 26 gal with permanent damage in her left ear. It’s not cool.

17. sara says:

Let the Freakishly Small Ear Girls unite! 🙂 Thank you so much for posting this; I’m going to purchase them asap!

18. Elizabeth says:

i had the same problem, so I SPLURGED for earphones called YurBuds! Amazing, they come in different sizes for very small ears to large ears. They WILL NOT fall put! They were about $30!