The Birth Control Side Effect You Don’t Know About—But Should

birth-control

I truly believe that knowledge is power. Especially when it comes to all things reproductive. And one—incredibly fascinating—thing I came across while researching my own issues going off birth control, was something called “The Twin Effect.” (Please say with dramatic inflection for emphasis.)

Although its name sounds like something that would be out of a sci-fi book, it’s based on a 1977 study published in The New England Journal of Medicine that found that the chance of having twins is 70 percent more likely in women who conceive three to six months after stopping the pill than those who wait more than six months after the pill to get pregnant. Now, before you coming-off-the-pill gals freak out that you’ll have twins (like I did), know that the chance of having twins even with The Twin Effect (dun dun dun) is just six per 1,000 pregnancies. So it’s not like you’re going to have twins, but your likelihood is relatively higher (by quite a bit) than it would be if you waited.

Crazy, right? I found this little interesting tidbit out when I spoke to Dr. Samuel Wood for a previous piece I was doing on post-pill amenorrhea and immediately wanted to know why, why, why? On one hand, you have women who can’t seem to have a period when coming off the pill, and then, on the other, you have women who are having double babies. Oh, the irony. Wood says that The Twin Effect occurs because the pill suppresses the hormones that stimulate the ovaries to release eggs. When a woman discontinues the pill, it may cause a rebound elevation in these hormones, leading to a greater chance that two or more eggs (eek!) will be released during those menstrual cycle rather than just one (as is seen in the vast majority of cycles). Again, fascinating.

I, of course, also asked him what the heck us wannabe moms should do about this phenomenon.

“Although the absolute increase in the number of twins seen in conceptions soon after stopping the pill is low, women who are certain that they do not want twins may want to delay becoming pregnant immediately after discontinuing the pill, while those that would like to have twins may choose to take advantage of the Twin Effect by attempting to become pregnant in the month after stopping the pill.”

Like I said, knowledge is power. But then again, you only have so much control over what Mother Nature dishes out. Now who wants double babies? —Jenn

Comments

1. Rachel says:

Yep, this happened to me. Got pregnant the second month off the pill with twin girls. As long as you are healthy, even little mamas (5′ 100 lbs) can have healthy twins. Eat a Lot in the beginning! Two gorgeous girls after 10 years on the pill. Their big brother is the best 🙂

2. Tabetha says:

Honestly, these are the least of the health concerns when the pill is involved.

1. Star says:

Maybe not too much of a health concern but a financial concern if you cannot afford one child let alone 2.

Plus a pregnancy with twins/multiples are riskier to the mother’s health than pregnancies with a single baby.

1. honest honeybee says:

I think what star is talking about is that synthetic hormones are carcinogenic. Women are the canaries in the coal mine on synth hormone birth control…when a low, low invasiveness, non-hormonal, reversible procedure for men has existed for decades and is popular in india. (RISUG). There is no excuse for big pharma to be brainwashing women into using it for any extended period of time. Yet women tend to get consciously defensive of the pill. Bc being angry at the messenger is easier than having to realize we’re being lied to and harmed and killed.

3. Sarah says:

It sounds interesting..Thank you!

4. Amy P says:

It also happened to me,. 2 months after going off the pill and the first week we tried for a baby I got pregnant with twins. Although, there are also twins in my family so I have an even greater chance of twins anyway. 🙂

5. Christine says:

I stopped all hormonal birth control 5 years ago, have no twins in my family and here I am expecting twins in June.:) Just to show that it can happen anytime.

6. blanca castro says:

hi my question ? i have been irregular since i started my period at age 14 , i have pcos and i do not ovulate so i can’t get pregnent,so i’m wondering can i go on the pill?

1. Jenn says:

Hi Blanca,

That’s definitely a question for your doctor!

–FBG Jenn

7. Kelsey says:

I’m hoping this works for me! Praying for twins!

8. Demetra says:

My sister got preggers with twins shortly after stopping birth control! It happens!

9. Rebekah says:

I came off the pill and 6 months later got pregnant with b/g fraternal twins, also no twins on either side of the family.

10. rose says:

i have been married to my husband for 18years without no issue. on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across a story of a man who Dr Ramson helped his wife to conceive a baby. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life. today i am a proud mom. words will not be enough to explain what this man did for me. he casted a pregnancy spell on me and i noticed i was pregnant on the 7th day after the spell. i am a happy mother, the pride of my family, a miracle in my town. i know there is someone in same condition and you feel there is no way. i urge you to contact him via email: drramson10@gmail.com This is the solution to every single mother around the globe. distance is not a barrier, he will surely make your dreams come trough. you want your lover back or any other miracle in your life, contact him today so the world can be a better place to live. bye!!!

11. FLORENCE says:

Hi, I just thought I would write you a quick note to say thank you for
    bringing us our precious wee girl into the world, I would never have got
    pregnant if it wasn’t for ‘DR KAKUTA’. I have attached a photo of our baby
    to this email, thanks again.” please contact DR KAKUTA through email kakutaspellz@gmail.com or call or message him on +2348168199202

12. I,and my husband are happy today is all about our kids, we both got married for nine years no child but at end we found help from dr zack i came across testimony on site some persons testify good of him how they got pregnant and became mother. after i read the testimony i take dr zack contact number and i message him few hours he add me to his whatssap and i explained my problem to him that i got married for nine years i don’t have child. he told me not to worry that god will provide he will help me and i will found my own kids. he told me to provide me and my husband information and i told my husband what dr zack said he said ok’ i should send details to him that will need a child, and i did it immediately a day after dr told me he has already solved my problem that my baby’s are on there way. the next week my monthly syn stopped i went to the hospital i met (Dr Zack) he told me i am pregnant i was very happy and i keep on updating dr zack, until i gave birth to twins baby boys. i don’t know how to thanks dr zack for all he has done to make me and my husband happy. this ‘s why i am shearing out my testimony for some persons to know the right way to search for help his address: mosthighsolutiontemple@gmail.com / +2348152217513. if you need help to keep your marriage saved.