Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day by having fancy drinks with your friends, celebrating with a lov-ah and some fancy lingerie, or enjoying a quiet night in with yourself and Netflix, we thought we’d share five fun, unique ways to celebrate the holiday. Yes, boxes of chocolate and roses are nice, but this year spice it up with one—or all—of these suggestions to treat yourself with an extra dose of L-O-V-E this Valentine’s Day! After all, it is Love Yo’Self Week on FBG…
5 Ways to Love Yourself on Valentine’s Day
1. Create a high-energy love-themed playlist. Music has been shown to boost mood and improve your workouts. So on this Valentine’s Day, create a mix of your favorite songs with “love” in the title or as a general theme. Too many love songs to choose from? Get started with this 60-minute love playlist on Spotify.
2. Eat red. On Valentine’s Day, try to eat as many healthy red foods as you can: crunchy red bell peppers, fresh grape tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries, apples, pomegranate—heck, even try to get in a serving of grass-fed organic red meat for a super vitamin and mineral health boost! Oh, and we’ll count a glass of red wine, too…
3. Wear something that makes you feel beautiful. Whether it’s bright red lipstick, a pair of sweats or this sexy number by Giselle Body, wear something today that makes you feel beautiful inside and out.
4. Give yourself some spa-esque pampering. Valentine’s Day is all about the pampering. So today, take a few minutes—or an hour or two if you have it—to really indulge. Trade 20-minute massages with a friend or partner, take a long bath by candlelight, sip cucumber water while wearing a beauty mask or even snuggle up on the couch for reruns with a cup of hot cocoa—whatever makes you say ahhh!
5. Trade your workout for play. Take a break from your usual workout and mix things up with play time! Jump on a trampoline for 15 minutes while you jam to your favorite guilty pleasure tunes. Challenge your date or your dog to a game of tag. Mix a batch of low-cal margaritas and invite your buds over to do a Latin dance workout DVD together (Yep, we stole that idea from Kathy Smith—how awesome is she?!). Whatever you choose, make sure it’s different than the norm and makes you smile! We’re all more beautiful—and happier—when we smile.
And, okay, have some chocolate, too. What’s your favorite way to treat yourself on Valentine’s Day? —Jenn