Ridiculous Savings on Healthy Eats … Ridiculous, We Say!

The following is a post sponsored byΒ ALDI. For our sponsored post policy, clickΒ here.
Let’s play a fun game. It’s titled …
aldi-graphic
No, really, throw out some numbers. There’s a pound of tilapa there, a jar of Manzanilla olives, chili powder, a ton of raisins, a can of diced tomatoes, a package of whole almonds, a box of organic salad spring mix, a pint of organic grape tomatoes, a lemon, cumin and a bag of slivered almonds. It’s a lot of stuff! (And you’ll see the delicious reason why I chose this stuff here in a second.)
As you might guess from my previous post where I shared my new obsession with ALDI, I got these goodies there. And as a fun experiment, I shopped without paying attention to prices — and just picked up what I needed. Then, when I got to the checkout line, I guessed that this whole big bunch of stuff would cost around $40 or $45. I mean, there’s a lot of good stuff in there (nuts, fish and spices are expensive!), and it seems that pretty much no matter what I pick up at the grocery store anywhere else for a quick trip, it ends up being just under $50. So when I rang this up, and the checker said $25.77, I literally asked her to repeat it. Twenty-five dollars and 77 cents? Really?!
Really.
aldi-receipt
I was shocked. Every single item on that list is crazy affordable. A six-ounce bag of slivered almonds for 2.99? Spices for 99 cents? Organic salad for $2.49? I have died and gone to healthy food heaven. This is truth:
aldi-save
And I used these goodies — a few of my favorite product lines at ALDI are the fresh and organic produce (obviously!) but also USDA Choice Meat, Fit & Active, SimplyNature and Happy Harvest — for an amazing recipe I found on ALDI’s website.
Say hello to my new BFF, Tilapia With Tomato Chutney.
aldi-tilapia
You can get the full Tilapia With Tomato Chutney recipe here, but let me just say that this is a knock-out recipe. It took me just about half an hour to make, and it was so flavorful. The chutney is downright craveable, with its saltiness from the olives and the sweetness from the raisins plus the acid from the lemon and tomato. Put that over some baked fish, and you have something amazing. I even took the healthiness of it up another notch by laying it over some organic greens. More veggies for the win! And my husband couldn’t stop talking about how fantastic it was.
So, just to recap, not only is ALDI bringing it with the amazing prices and quality, but also they have a whole website with TONS of healthy and better-for-you recipes! Check them all out here. I’m totally eyeballing these smoothies as my next ALDI recipe to try …
Stay tuned next week for my next ALDI adventure, and in the meantime, tell me: How close were you to getting the cost of my shopping bag right?! —Jenn

FTC disclosure: We often receive products from companies to review. All thoughts and opinions are always entirely our own. Unless otherwise stated, we have received no compensation for our review and the content is purely editorial. Affiliate links may be included. If you purchase something through one of those links we may receive a small commission. Thanks for yourΒ support!

Comments

1. Ashlea says:

Love this post! I love ALDI and have been so happy to see more and more from the SimplyNature line.

2. Amy says:

While I think this is awesome, I live in a place where tax on groceries is 8-9%… So this isn’t a realistic goal for everyone, unfortunately. πŸ™

1. Sue says:

Still, 8-9% of $25 is less than 8-9% of $35. I sympathize with you. You have even more motivation to keep the price of groceries down.

2. I, too, am impressed at some of the items Aldi’s has that are healthier choices. Now, if they would stop buying fish from China and focus on wild-caught fish from places like the U.S. and Canada…. I’d shop at Aldi’s for everything I need. Maybe they could even throw in some free-range chicken, grass-fed beef and free-range eggs? I know they are not a “health food store” but these things are becoming more mainstream and can be found in the big box stores as well as Whole Foods and Sprouts.

3. jen says:

Love Aldi’s they have an app too. Check it out!

4. Pam says:

I have been an Aldi shopper for 30 years! I’ve tried to convince my DIL to shop there and finally she shopped and could not believe the savings over other grocers. How much she could have saved if she’s done this 4 years ago. In Wisconsin we do not pay tax on food at stores.

5. Cynthia says:

I have been a ALDI shopper for years! Like Ashlea, I am thrilled to see their ever growing expansion of products. including name brand and gluten free items. Great place to pick up “care package” items for your college student and every day shopping for the family on a budget!

6. Kelly says:

Whether you pay sales tax or not…. It is still a huge savings shopping there!
    I am always amazed how people drive around to save 25 cents on a tank of gas but don’t think
    About shopping at Aldi and saving triple that on just a gallon of milk!
    I make a breakfast casserole with all my items from Aldi that feeds 8-10 so inexpensively!

7. Laura says:

There is no Aldi in my city. How can that be changed?

8. Bren says:

I do LOVE Aldi…. they have been increasing the number of both Organic and Labeled Non-GMO foods !! And for the most part, prices are great. Some things recently, however, have shot up over night—-with prices now being HIGHER than Kroger !!
    (Organic bananas– Aldi- $1.38/lb … Kroger- $0.61/lb)
    Just keep your eyes open !!

9. Judsi says:

We shop at Aldi’s and recently a food outlet store opened up almost across the street from them. Great bargains at both, we try to avoid the big box stores now. Even if Aldi’s has unknown brands, it is good if not better than the name brands.

10. Denise says:

Aldi has FINALLY come to SoFla and I LOVE it, BUT watch for the usual tactics. I went there last week and the 99 cent fresh blueberries were “sold out” as were 44 cent bananas. But if I watch sales and scour for savings I can easily save 30-40% over big box stores.

11. Pat says:

I have shopped for years at Aldi – shopped at Aldi when I lived in Germany and was thrilled they moved to the United States. Good stock; very clean stores; polite employees and the products are wonderful!!!

12. Henry says:

Could not agree more.
    Been shopping at Aldi almost exclusively now for almost 2 years.
    Would easily spend 400 500 US per month in groceries before.
    I am now down to 150 to 200.

13. Jodi says:

We are getting an Aldi’s in Lincoln, Nebraska. I’M SO EXCITED!! Bonus: It will be right across from where I work! My sister shops at Aldi’s all the time in Chicago and just loves it. I can’t wait until they open their doors. =o)

14. Laura says:

Soooo, what can I do to encourage an Aldi’s to come to our city?