How to Get the Perfect Top Knot
When it comes to hair, we’re into quick styles that work well and look great in a variety of settings. Settings, like, say … everything from a night on the town to yoga class. And nothing does that better than a top knot. Nothing.
In order to achieve the perfect top knot (it’s easy but there is a technique to it!), we got with NYC Cutler and Redken Stylist Jenny Balding. Jenny shows us — in just six quick and easy steps — how to get the perfect top knot in minutes for Be-YOU-tiful Week!
How to Achieve the Perfect Top Knot
- For best results, start with day two hair onwards as your hair will be easier to manage with an already “lived-in” texture.
Mist hair with dry shampoo, focusing primarily on the roots — this will give your hair more texture, grip and volume.
- Then mist a light hairspray throughout for some hold and grip.
- Sweep your hair into high ponytail. Keep checking what it looks like from your profile so you position your ponytail on the most flattering point of your head for your face shape.
- Take the ponytail and back-brush from the underneath lightly — this creates a slightly disheveled texture.
- Sweep around the base of the ponytail and pin using U-shaped hairpins. These really anchor the hair best, which means you will only need two or three to secure.
- This creates a perfectly disheveled top knot that looks ultra stylish and works for any event.
Yep, we can totally do that. What’s your go-to hair style when not wearing your hair down or rocking a pony? —Jenn