You guys have heard of Bulletproof Coffee, right? I know we’ve mentioned it — and we even reviewed it. Well, creator of it, Dave Asprey has a new cookbook out: BULLETPROOF: The Cookbook; Lose Up to a Pound a Day, Increase Your Energy, And End Food Cravings for Good. And today we have his bone broth recipe from it!
Bone broth is one of those things that has gone from grandma’s staple to bonafide health foodie trend. And if you’ve been looking for an easy yet delicious bone broth recipe to try, this would be it. Use it as a base for soup or other dishes that call for broth, or do as the Paleo peeps do and sip it straight!
- 3 medium carrots, cut into rough chunks
- 3 medium celery stalks, cut into rough chunks
- 2 1⁄2 pounds assorted beef marrow bones from grass-fed beef
- 1 bouquet garni: your choice of fresh oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage, etc., tied in a bundle with kitchen twine
- 1 to 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen Powder per 4 cups of broth (optional)
- Sea salt
- In a large stockpot, lightly sauté the carrots and celery for a few minutes until translucent. Add the beef bones and bouquet garni and cover with water. Add the vinegar (it helps draw out the nutrients from the bones). Simmer over low heat (do not boil) for anywhere between 8 and 14 hours.
- When your broth is a deep brown color and you are happy with the concentration of flavor, remove the bones and strain the vegetables out. If using collagen powder, add the amount appropriate to the amount of broth and stir until dissolved.
- Add salt to taste, if desired, then store in canning jars in the refrigerator for future use.
Have you made bone broth from scratch? I’ll admit I rely on canned stocks waaay too much. Must try this bone broth recipe, stat! —Jenn