2. The Fitness Ladder Workout Game
This game is really more of a challenge, but it’s a great way to push yourself harder than you ever would on your own.
How it works:
- Choose an exercise that you want to challenge your partner with (e.g. push-ups, box jumps, squats, burpees, etc.). Let’s use squats as an example.
- You begin the fitness ladder by doing one squat.
- Now it’s your gym buddy’s turn. She does one squat.
- You do two squats.
- She does two.
- Continue to add one rep each time until either one of you drops to the floor exhausted!
I do this with my clients by picking 4 to 6 exercises that cover muscle groups from across the entire body (i.e. don’t just do push-ups over and over again). We complete one ladder, take a quick water break, then move onto the next. A good sequence might look like this:
- Pull-downs (at a set weight) or assisted chin-ups
- Hamstring curls on the ball
- Mountain climbers (we start with 6 and add 2 more each time)
- Treadmill sprints (starting at 30 seconds, adding 10 seconds each time)
If you have any competitive juices in you (YES, you do!), I know this will push you to keep working much longer than you ever thought was possible. And, it is kind of fun watching your partner busting her butt to try to match what you just did (yeah, sounds kind of mean, I know!).