From Kristen

Here Come the War Wounds (and They’re Embarrassing!)

Ice on the knees is only the beginning. Credit: kgseymour, Flickr

I’m just over a week away from my Big Race, and, I don’t want to jinx anything, but the training has really been enjoyable. I’ve had amazing weather, fantastic company and, other than a little knee and hip pain (shut up, turn down that rock music and get off my lawn!), I’ve been injury free.

Well, at least, injury free when it comes to serious injury. I’ve definitely had a few not-so-serious ouchies occur, and … well, I’m wondering if I’m the only one. So, I’m doing the only logical thing and sharing it all on the Internet. Why not?

3 Embarrassing Running Issues

1. Frodo feet. I’ve always had calluses on my feet. Always. I pumice and Ped Egg them, and they still break out the big tools when I get the (very) occasional pedicure. I’ve actually had pedicurists laugh at my feet and show me how much icky stuff they shaved off after. But with great mileage comes great foot issues, apparently, so not only have my calluses grown, but I’ve got, like, blisters on top of and around the calluses, and skin that’s peeling, and … let’s just say I’m not going to be putting the moves on my husband by trying to get a foot massage right now, if you get my drift.

2. Sports-bra scars. Sports bras that have hitherto been excellent supporters of mine seem to have turned on me. It’s like they didn’t sign up for 10+ mile runs and are punishing me for it by stabbing me in the back—literally! I’ve got a couple of pretty good cuts along the bra line on my back from a bra that rubbed me the wrong way. It’s not all that painful, but I don’t think it’s helping me bring the sexy back. Sigh.

3. I didn’t even know that could chafe. I’m no stranger to Body Glide—I use it on my thighs, on the backs of my feet, and anywhere an article of clothing hits and rubs (other than, apparently, on my back, or the scars mentioned above wouldn’t have happened). But on some of my longer runs, I’ve had some…uhhh…okay. I’ll call a spade a spade. It’s ass chafing. And it sucks. And I don’t know what to do about it. I’ve tried different types of underwear, and while it’s better with some than others, somewhere around mile nine, it still shows up. Suggestions for this are welcome, because although the pain doesn’t last long, it makes for a hell of a shower. Ugh.

What kind of embarrassing injuries have you sustained during workouts or while training? Share, please—don’t leave me here all alone! —Kristen

Comments

1. says

Ass chafing is the worst! I’m going to make a big ASSumption here and guess that the chafing is in your… no delicate way to say this… crack. If that’s the case, try baby powder. It keeps it from getting sweaty and frictiony as fast, so although if you’re running for really long periods of time you may still get some chafing, it won’t happen as quickly and therefore won’t be as bad. It’s seriously been a lifesaver for me.

2. carrie says

Ass long were talking about it….I tried the baby powder and it work but you get an embarrassing residue on the outside of your clothing. So my second go to is petroleum jelly works! I hear you on all levels..

3. Frank says

I can totally relate Kristen to #3 well call a spade a well groin area issue, and I prefer aquaphor over body glide or powder, the powder seems to sweat away by 9 miles while the aquaphore seems to hang in there and makes the cold plunge and the shower much more pleasant!

4. Sarah G. says

When I trained for a 1/2 last year, I used Palmer’s cocoa butter lotion and didn’t have lots of trouble with chaffing (used along with body glide). My feet are one big callus, but I also get clogged sweat glands in my feet. Very painful and often confused with planter’s warts.

5. says

While nursing, I actually put maxi-pads under my bra’s shoulder straps to prevent the cutting and bleeding they caused on my runs. My ass though, thank goodness, has been compliant so far. No issues there. You are the funniest Kristen!

6. Emily says

OMG, yes!!! I was a runner for years before I ran my first marathon (1 1/2 years ago), and that’s when I experienced all of the above for the first time. And I still have the stinkin’ scars on my back. When will they go away? I’ve tried Bodyglide but it ultimately didn’t help. I needed to switch bras for my long runs.

You didn’t mention if you still have all ten toenails.

7. Carla says

Believe me, it’s embarrassing, but it happens on those long runs. I’ve just broke out a sample I received from a race last year called That Butt Stuff. Check it out. I just finished a shorter 5 mile run and don’t feel the chafing.

8. Teresa M says

Hear you on the ass chafing… argh!!! I had problems with this with stationary biking of all things. I guess I will try aquaphor??? I don’t know… freaks me out.

9. says

Well this didn’t end up being an injury, but it could have. I was bench pressing nearly 100lbs alone and I got the bar stuck on my chest. This is the only time this ever happened and at the time I was completely capable of benching that weight. But once it was on my chest I was panicking too much to push it up so I had to catch the eye of some random guy for help. I had my Ipod blaring so I couldn’t even hear what he was saying or how loud I was talking. Ugh.

10. Sara Stanton says

Oh the ass chafing…I thought I was the only one. My husband and sons affectionately refer to it as Monkey Butt and we just found some Monkey Butt cream the other day. I am going to have to try the Aquaphor and see how that works out. The baby powder becomes a bit of a clumped mess. Ugh.

11. brenda says

I use chamois butter and it works great… Typically used by cyclists but also works very well for runner’s chafing.

12. Joy says

When I trained for my first marathon this past summer/fall, I definitely had blisters on my calluses. My husband definitely was grossed out by my feet. I finally started using moleskin on my big toes for long runs.
    Mostly chafing wasn’t a huge issue (I don’t wear shorts, or I’d have serious thigh chafe), but I did have a couple incidents with a particular pair of Gap capris that are cute and have super compression, but some seams in unfortunate places around the butt/thigh. Good times. Needless to say, those capris got knocked out of the long run rotation.

13. Cate says

Ass chafing is THE worst! Showers are put off as long as possible after long runs when I know I’ve chafed. Chamois Butter seems to work best for me. Good luck!

14. Kellie West says

Try Anti-Monkey Butt powder. Silly name, but the stuff is amazing for chafing and what is commonly known as “swamp ass”.

15. says

I have experience the not-so-fun ass chafing before as well as a bad experience with chafing inside your inner leg where your underwear sits normally. Ouch! It was caused by rain during the end of a long run. I have since bought Desitin and it’s my new friend. But, I regularly use BodyGlide and Aquaphor.

16. Cat says

I have the scars from bra chafe too, but front and center on my chest instead of my back. I also have a couple spots right below my armpits from different bras.

17. Karl says

Thanks for every ones input on the chafing issue. once I get over 7 miles I have this issue. I’ve had limited success with creams, but after reading, I don’t think I’ve been putting enough on. After yesterdays 13 miler I was even bleeding a little.