4 Ways Alcohol Hurts Your Fitness Goals

exercise and alcohol

It may go down nice, but exercise and alcohol don’t go well together. Buzz kill, we know. Credit: Kirti Poddar

Now, we like to have a cocktail, beer or glass of wine (or three!) as much as the next gal, but like we say time and time again, it’s all about moderation. Which is why we’re sharing the following guest info from Women’s Health with you. Not to be a buzz-kill or anything, but because it’s important to be informed and realize how that regular happy hour might be getting in the way of your goals…

Exercise and Alcohol: The Research

Think that getting in a quick workout gives you free reign at the bar over the weekend? Think again. A study from the University of Miami found that the more people exercise, the more they drink—with the most active women consuming the highest amounts every month. Research shows that drinkers of both genders and all ages (not just wild twenty-somethings) were 10 percent more likely to engage in vigorous exercise like running. Heavy drinkers exercised 10 minutes more each week than moderate drinkers and 20 minutes more than abstainers. An extra bender actually increased the number of minutes of total and vigorous exercise the men and women did that week. This trend seems particularly pronounced in women—especially active, educated women, who, according to recent research from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, are drinking more than ever.

Exercise and Alcohol: How It Hurts Your Workouts

Alcohol in your system is detrimental to any kind of fitness activity (except on the dance floor!). Here’s how booze wreaks havoc on your workout regimen…

Comments

1. Celina Yanez says

Rude awakening. I’m embarrased to say I consume a glass of wine with dinner. HOWEVER, I drink a lot during the weekends (I’m a little too social). Thank you for the wake up call.

2. Kristen says

UGH. I knew some of this, but some was definitely news to me. My consumption varies a lot, depending on social obligations, workload and stress. Last week, with Memorial Day? It was high. Now I’m glad I’ve cut back this week, and it’ll definitely keep me from overindulging at the shindig I have planned for tomorrow.

3. Joy says

Training for a marathon and weekend long runs definitely put a damper on my drinking. Early weekend mornings means no partying the night before for me! So my drinking has decreased drastically over the past year as my running has increased. Maybe 1-2 glasses of wine or hard ciders a week. NYE was probably the last time I had considerably more.

4. MzHartz says

Hm, I never heard about the corrolation between drinking more and exercising more. I have been doing the Couch to 5k on top of my regular workouts. When I drink, I usually have two or three drinks, and I try not to drink any alcohol more than 3 nights a week. But since I’ve been running, I’ve been a lot more likely to have a glass of wine with supper and cocktails on the weekends, when usually I just have water with supper. I really need to reign that in.

5. Jodi says

Thanks for the wake-up call. I’ve been thinking about cutting back, i.e., no alcohol during the week and only a few on the weekends, but I hadn’t made the decision yet. I needed to read this!

6. Michelle says

I used to be quite the social drinker back in my student days but when I decided to do a marathon a few years back I decided to really put my heart and soul into it and give up alcohol altogether. I definitely felt better from it … in fact so much so that I’ve not drunk since!!

7. Debra says

I decided to forego the glass(or 2) of wine with dinner unless we’re out. Need to break that habit and I sure miss my cab:}

Debra