Well, here’s some news you don’t normally hear: New USDA research suggests that almonds may have 20 percent fewer calories per serving than originally thought. How great is that? It’s usually the other way around! To help celebrate this fantastic news (and, dudes, almonds are sooo good for you!), we have a delicious recipe for Mocha Almonds from the Almond Board of California, which knows its nuts. Hehe.
Great as a snack with your mid-morning coffee or as an afternoon pick-me-up, these heart-healthy almonds have hints of chocolate and coffee. They’re so good you may even need to make a double batch. After all, we know how tasty healthy leftovers can be!
Mocha Almonds Recipe
6 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 egg white
2 c whole natural almonds
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In container of electric blender, combine all ingredients except egg white and almonds. Blend 30 seconds, pulsing on and off; set aside.
2. In large bowl, whisk egg white until opaque and frothy. Add almonds; toss to coat. Add sugar mixture; toss gently to coat evenly.
3. Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Arrange almonds on baking sheet in single layer. Bake in center of oven 15 minutes.
4. Gently toss mocha almonds and arrange again in a single layer again. Continue to bake 15 minutes longer; toss gently.
5. Turn off oven. Leave almonds in oven with door ajar 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely. Store in airtight container up to two weeks.
So simple and so darn good! Who else loves mocha almonds? Will make some? Such a healthy feel-good treat! —Jenn