We hear it time and time again: I can’t find any good healthy travel snacks! Or: I’m sick of plain almonds and fruit; are there any other fun yet healthy travel snacks? Or: The airport food court/gas station options suck—I cannot find any healthy travel snacks! Sound familiar? To help with this ever-present problem, behold our favorite five healthy travel snacks of late. They’re delicious and so good for you that you might even consider them super travel food!
5 Healthy Travel Snacks to Pack for Your Next Trip
1. Superberries Aroniaberry Gummy Chews. Sure, apples, bananas and oranges are pretty easy to take with you on the road, but more fragile fruits like berries aren’t conducive to travel. Which is where these Superberries Aroniaberry Gummy Chews come in. In a convenient portable format, this healthy travel snack is filled with the aronia berry, which many call a superfood, saying that it does everything from beat stress to boost eye health and improve muscle recovery time after workouts. Sweet and with three times the amount of antioxidants as blueberries, each little pack has just 100 calories.
2. Flax Paks. We’ve already been over the amazing health benefits of flaxseed, and these portable Flax Paks from Carrington Farms make adding organic milled flaxseeds a cinch on the go. With no refrigeration needed, pack a few in your carry-on, and then sprinkle on a low-sugar yogurt you pick up at the airport or some cereal from your hotel’s complimentary breakfast. It’s an easy way to work some healthy omega-3 fats in your day!
3. Jack Link’s Turkey Jerky. What’s that you say? You want some protein in your healthy travel snacks, too? We hear ya! Jack Link’s Turkey Jerky is made of solid strips of white meat turkey breast that’s been seasoned and smoked over mesquite. Super lean with no added MSG (there is gluten though, so beware g-free peeps), it’s a convenient way to get some high-quality protein while out and about.
4. Dried Plums. Yes, we know that “dried plums” are also known as “prunes,” but prunes just sound so…shriveled…and bathroom-trip producing. So, like the California Dried Plums Board, we’re calling them by their more sophisticated name. And dried plums are kind of the perfect sweet yet healthy travel snack. A good source of important vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber, they help promote good bone, heart and digestive health, and support the immune system. A serving of four to five of them has just about 100 calories, and studies suggest they may even help reduce skin wrinkles. So a healthy travel snack, especially as a replacement for dessert when your sweet tooth is calling? We think so!
5. Pistachio Chewy Bites. These chewy bites, each with about 100 calories, are made with pistachios, cranberries, agave nectar and a little sea salt. They are delicious, heart-healthy and provide instant energy for on the go. Gluten-free, dairy-free and GMO-free with six grams of protein per two-“bite” serving, we love how these healthy travel snacks are just slightly sweet while letting the natural flavor of the pistachio really shine.
So there you have it, our favorite healthy travel snacks of late! What healthy travel snacks have you been stuffing in your carry-on? —Jenn