Comforting Vegan Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Fall and winter weather calls for warm and comforting soups and stews, which, in many cases, means lots of extra calories. But that doesn’t need to be the case! With the right mix of ingredients, you can get a filling chowder that’s packed with nutrition and flavor. And yes, it’s vegan, but believe me, you won’t miss the meat.
This is my favorite vegan cauliflower chowder recipe, adapted from The SimplyRaw Kitchen. Enjoy!
Comforting Cauliflower Chowder Recipe
Author: Fit Bottomed Eats
Recipe type: Soup
This yummy cauliflower soup recipe is vegan, gluten-free and so filling and hearty for fall and winter!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1-2 sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 carrots
- 1-2 potatoes
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 1 handful kale or spinach
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp nutmeg (dried or grated)
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Coarsely chop all vegetables.
- Set aside approximately two cups of chopped cauliflower and cook remaining cauliflower, sweet potatoes or yams, onion, red pepper, carrots, potatoes, celery stalks, kale or spinach, and bay leaf in 5 cups of water or soup stock until all veggies are softened. (Original recipe calls for 20 minutes, but experience has taught me that it takes considerably longer, so allow up to an hour for this.)
- Remove veggies from heat and remove bay leaf.
- Blend remaining veggies in blender until creamy, keeping in mind that the ingredients will be HOT!
- Pour blended veggies back into pot, add the cauliflower you set aside as well as the herbs, spices and milk, and heat back up until nice and hot. Season with additional salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste and enjoy!
What’s your go-to winter soup? Check out more of our healthy comfort food faves here. —Kristen