9 Tips for Working Out in the Morning (Without It Being Miserable)

I have a love/hate relationship with working out in the morning. But, as I’ve already shared, I really, really do love it. In fact, it’s one of the best parts of my day — and week even. Well, once I’m done. I’ll admit that getting out of bed in the dark and cold isn’t always the easiest. And it took me months to transition from an evening exerciser to working out in the morning. But the feeling of accomplishment after? The boost of confidence knowing that you already rocked a workout no matter what the day throws at you? Well, that’s just priceless. So if you’d like to start working out in the morning but haven’t quite figured out how to actually get out of bed when the alarm goes off, read on!

working-out-in-the-morning

Working Out in the Morning: 9 Tips

1. Envision waking up early, working out — and enjoying it. It may sound hippity-dippity, but if you can’t imagine yourself walking up early to work out and enjoying it, chances are you won’t do it. So for just a few minutes before bed, think about waking up to your alarm and feeling energized. Then, imagine getting ready and having a great workout. If you can do that regularly, it’ll only help you see yourself as someone who likes working out in the morning. And then you can make it a reality!

Comments

1. Stephanie says

Morning workouts work best for me, because I usually can find 10 million things to do AFTER a long day at work, and it’s usually not exercise.

It was a hard habit for me to get into, but now that I do it, it’s a way of life. I actually DO wake up at the same time every day (even weekends) because it really does make it easier. Staying up late one night, but going to bed early the next, or trying to get to bed early when I’ve slept in? Forget it. I need consistency, and this works for me.

I’ve also used Facebook to help get me out of bed. Posting that I will the night before is helpful. I’m also FB friends with my Pilates trainer and one of my cycling instructors. If they know where to find me to harrass me for sleeping, I’d best get out of bed!

2. Daria says

Great article.

I’m a morning exerciser. And to get myself going on those early, wet and cold mornings..as I’m getting ready I like to listen to music on my iPod. Adrenalin is pumping and I’m ready to run! :)
    There are many benefits of working out in the morning. #1 for me is, I have free evenings and if something comes up during the day I don’t feel guilty staying late at work or going for dinner since all my daily exercises have been done.

3. Kelsey Newman says

Great tips. I love to exercise but waking up early morning just to do so sometimes is not that great since I have to wake up very early. Still, I’ll keep in mind the tips above.

4. Amanda says

I wouldn’t say that I’m the greatest at being consistent with my early morning workouts. I probably have to go back to having my alarm clock across the room and physically getting out of bed. What helps me if getting a good quality sleep (I recently purchased a new mattress and I’m working on a finding the right pillow). The more rested I am, the more likely I am to wake up to work out.

Also, I have found that setting a small incentive for doing at least 3 days a week helps (like purchase a video, new workout clothes, etc).

5. kitty says

I am the one who has a 100 excused not to workout after work!! I LOVE MORNING WORKOUTS!!!

I agree–no matter what kind of day you have—your workout is already done!!

6. Liz M says

I am definitely NOT a morning person and working out in the morning has always been something i’ve wanted to do but never been able to get myself up in the mornings to go to the gym. After work, I always had the excuse that I was too tired to go to the gym.

For about 2 months now I have worked out in the morning 5 days and week and I absolutely LOVE it! It wakes me up and I feel like it gives me so much more energy! I should have done this ages ago! Granted, I am only working out at home and for about 20 minutes, but it’s the best way to start my morning!!

7. Bethany Learn - Fit2B Studio says

I workout in the early morning three times per week. It is always hard to get out of bed, but I love that moment in the later afternoon when I catch myself wondering, “Did I workout yet today?” Oh yea! I already did! Woot!” The only time I might suggest not working out in the morning is if you really REALLY are NOT a morning person. Because then, no matter how much you KNOW that it’s good for you, it’s possible you won’t enjoy it, and you’ll dread it, and you’ll start avoiding it. Find the time that works BEST for YOU!

8. Blair @ Waking Up Early says

Great tips! I love the first one though because it can actually make a big difference. It kind of goes along with that saying “fake it til you make it” sort of. You just have to have a better attitude about it, or at least pretend to at first, and it will come with time.

9. allie says

thank you for the tips!
    i have been working out in the afternoons (6 pm to 7:30 pm) for almost a year by now and i absolutely love it! but im trying to do it on the morning on saturdays since i dont have to go to school those days, and this tips really help since i HATE waking up, and in the night i have so much energy :)

10. Jess says

I went went for my first ever early morning run this morning http://wp.me/p1Vei5-fR) and I got a new PR!!!! With my new confidence and your tips, I think I’ll make this a habit!!!! This was just what I needed to read today!

11. Sarah @ Will Run for Pasta says

Those are great tips! My only problem is that when my alarm goes off I just don’t give a darn and nothing but a fire is going to get me out of bed! I wish it was easier because the times I have actually done it in the morning have been great. I’m fully embracing tip #9 and figure that as long as it’s getting done it doesn’t matter when, but I still hope to conquer mornings one of these days!

12. Haris Moin says

guys i have a question…. i m doing exercise n running in morning…but i’ve a problem i.e i go to a nearest park for running(as their is a walking track) ,but i go on my bike therefore i have to face the cool breeze on my bike…so when i return back from park,as my body becomes hot,,so when i drive my bike the cold wind puts great effect on me….i wanna ask that is it injurious or bad for my health or body muscles???? help me plzzzz……….

13. Shannon says

I have been working out at 5 am during the week for the past month. Knowing that no matter what the day brings, I have done something for me, makes me feel energized.

14. Janet K says

Thanks for all the great tips. I am shifting to a 6:15 am Insanity workout, which is going to be a challenge, since it means I am going to have to get up at 5:00 am to get there on time. Mainly worried about how well I am going to keep up with what is a very fast-paced workout that I am used to doing at 5:00 pm. I hope it works out.

15. Cassie says

I need tips on how to remain quiet while working out early! Sometimes I’m worried I’ll wake up those around me!

16. Melissa B says

I belong to the Fitness Center in the office building where I work. I have to be at work at 7 am, and the fitness center is pretty empty early in the morning, so I have been getting up and throwing on my workout clothes, driving to work and hitting the fitness center for 45-50 minutes before showering and heading to work. It won’t get done any other way. I tried going at lunch, but the funny thing is, I actually like to eat lunch on my lunch hour. I figure if I can do this during the dark cold (frigid) winter, should be a piece of cake as it starts getting warmer and lighter earlier.

17. Kelly says

These comments are great motivators! I am very groggy in the morning and need all of the inspiration to get up! My only concern is that I am very stiff in the morning and haven’t had a chance to let the day wake up my body. I’ve actually hurt myself working out in the am!
    This time, I worked out early evening for approx a month and now I am going to try to do it in the morning. Maybe being stronger will help!

18. Laura says

I’ve found that the best way to get me out of bed in the morning is to set my alarm as some super motivational audio. Having someone telling me I can do it and that I rock when I first wake up is a great push to get myself out of the house and onto the pavement.

19. Rohit Singh says

I think that walking is the great exercise especially if we do in morning and evening so thanks to sharing such great tips and keep up the good work

20. Tash says

I love exercising in the morning, but it’s really hard when it is dark outside. I found the best time to start pushing yourself to get up a little earlier is when daylight savings ends (I know it’s only once a year) as you have that extra hour of sunlight in the morning, so you can get up an hour earlier! …although I’m sure it’s hard for some people as this means we’re heading into winter.

21. Lizifer says

I love working out in the morning, but I tend not to do it despite being a morning person.
    Why?

Well, if I work out at home, it wakes up my dogs… who then wake up my partner and our housemate with their barking.

If I leave to go to the gym, dealing with talking all the neccessities to the gym to get ready is just my own personal nightmare — and I miss that time with my honey (since he’s in the service industry, and I’m not, we often miss out on time together in the evening, but he’s a delightful human beign who gets up and chats with me when I’m getting ready).

I haven’t yet figured out what the solution is, because I really like it when I get to do it! (on the other hand, then I end up trying to do two more through the day… but that’s a different topic).

22. Amar @ Workout Routines says

Great post I think that doing workout routines in the morning is the best because our body is very fresh at that time and we can do more intense workouts as compared to those men and women who are doing their exercises in evening ! Keep up the good work