Resolutions for 2010
2010? How did that happen? It seems like Y2K was just yesterday! Although time appears to go by more quickly each passing year, Jenn and I thought we’d slow it down to share our New Year’s Resolutions again this year.
- Socialize. As you know, my hubby and I are in the process of settling into the East Coast. We knew exactly one person when we moved to our new area, so “making friends” is high on the agenda for 2010. We’ve vowed not to turn down any social invites we receive from here until 2011. Friends, here we come!
- Join a gym. Now that we’ll be moving into a permanent residence after being in transition and living in temporary housing for three months, I plan to find a gym where I can rekindle my love for Zumba and step class. There is a YMCA in our new neighborhood that’s reported to be amazing, so hopefully it will do the trick!
- Work/life balance. I’m not sure how Jenn and I have done it so far—launching and running FBG while maintaining our full-time day jobs. As we’ve gained readers and had awesome opportunities to write for other websites, it’s become increasingly nutty in our day-to-day lives. Not sure how I’ll do it, but like my 2009 resolution to spend more time away from the computer, I vow this year to figure out how to balance my life so that I can fit in interests beyond fitness. Sanity is at stake here, people!
- Run faster. I almost picked my first resolution to be completing my first marathon, but seeing that I’ll be running in nine days (panic, panic!) and have been training for months, that didn’t seem to be fair because I know (despite my panic) that I’m going to do it! And at 26.2 miles, I think I’ll be safe to cross “run farther” off my New Year’s resolutions list, so I’m going to work on running like the wind. I plan to take a week or two off of running after the marathon, and then I resolve to run two to three times a week with at least one short and FAST run. Like 8-minute mile fast. Like fast enough to keep up with my husband who always leaves me in his dust. Like fast enough to make puns on me being a “fast girl.” Fast I will be!
- Appreciate my workout A.D.D. Last year I resolved to run a half marathon (and I did!) to combat my inability to commit to one type of exercise (and therefore see results). While training for the half and full marathons has definitely helped me combat this problem and see major results, I kinda miss my spastic nature. This year I will reduce my amount of running so that other random activities have room in my life. I love running, but I need time to do yoga/Pilates/tai chi/striptease/TRX/whatever trend comes our way. I miss group exercise classes. Heck I even miss the elliptical. We shall reconnect in 2010!
- Lighten up. I don’t mean this in the typical way. In fact, I’m a pretty happy-go-lucky person. But, I’ll be the first to admit that I am a bit of a control freak and a workaholic (I ditto Erin’s #3). I tend to be the type of person who thinks the world might fall apart if they’re not doing everything all the time for everyone. I obviously need to feel needed, but I also need a reality check that I’m not Atlas. I do not hold the world on my shoulders. And I don’t need to be on top of everything all the time. I love my work, and I love my life. Gotta stop and enjoy it sometimes.
Be sure to stay tuned next week for our very first Beginner’s Week. We’re kicking off the New Year by going back to the beginner basics! What are your resolutions for 2010? —Erin & Jenn