I’m Turning the Big 3-0

turning-30

Credit: Theresa Thompson

Later this week, I turn the big 3-0. And while I thought this would be a big, milestone birthday for me, it turns out I’m quietly peaceful and calm about the whole thing. (Well, besides an old school Skeeball and martini-filled party I’m throwing myself to pay homage to my 20s.) But I think everything they say about your 20s is true. It’s your time to feel insecure, figure yourself out, make mistakes—and make your way. I’ve certainly done that and then some.

It was in my 20s that I finally got help with emotional eating and overexercising, got married, bought a house, adopted a dog, had an existential crisis that caused me to create this website, worked my ass off, mourned a grandfather, ran a marathon, realized the incredible power of family and good friends, found out the hard way that you can’t always get what you want, quit my day job and realized the power of dreams. My relationship with food and exercise has gone from obsessive to cautious to empowering and enjoyable. And through it all I’ve learned the biggest and simplest lesson of all: to be grateful because we really are blessed in so many ways if we just look around and realize the innate power we posses to choose and go after our own best possible life as defined by us.

It’s hard to imagine what the next decade will have in store for me, but I plan to be a bad ass. From growing this site and Fit Bottomed Babies to continuing my own personal adventures in loving all that life has to offer, I’m pumped to discover what many say comes naturally with age: poise, confidence and living your life for you and those you love. Other goals? Well, you know I’ve got fitness ones!

Fitness Goals for the Next Decade

1. Run another marathon. For this marathon I plan to foam roll every day, stretch and take more rest days and walk breaks to prevent injury!

2. Compete in a triathlon. And by “compete” I mean “finish.” This is the final fitness event on my bucket list, and I plan on checking it off in the next few years.

3. Go mainly meat-free. While I’ll write more about my experience going vegetarian for the month of January later, suffice it to say that the experience went well and that I plan to keep up many of my meat-free ways, albeit without going entirely herbivore.

4. Harness my intuitiveness. I’ve already blogged about intuitive eating, but I want to expand this to all areas of my life. What do I feel like doing for today’s workout? Should I rest or go to yoga? Make that business deal or not? Have drinks with friends or stay in? We usually know the right answer if we just listen. And I plan on listening more.

5. Expand the fit family. Yep, my biological clock is ticking, and I hope to bring another Fit Bottomed Girl or boy into the world. I plan to raise the kiddo with a healthy lifestyle, while still keeping myself and my fitness a priority.

For those of you in your 20s, how do you feel about turning 30? For those of you ages 30 and above, what awesomeness can I expect? —Jenn

Comments

1. kim says:

I just turned 34. To be honest – my 30s are much better than my 20s. i’m in better health (though its harder when your metabolism slows WAY down) and I have my dream (really hard) job. Still not married, but who knows. I love being single and traveling! Have fun and happy birthday!

2. tish says:

beautiful post…i dig the way you describe your 20s. you have to respect their psychotic state of flux…they made us who we are today and YOU my dear are some kinda wonderful.

3. Stephanie says:

That’s a great list of goals, and they aren’t that far off from the things I’m working on in life.

I just turned 37, and I think the only ripple of weirdness I’ve had so far is when I turned 35, because it meant I was now “mid-30s” – I didn’t feel old exactly, it was just weird. Weird because I guess I don’t feel that way – I still feel like I’m in my early twenties and no time has passed. I guess that’s a good thing!

I do notice some slight changes in my body, and now those gray hairs aren’t hiding as much (I’m still hellishly lucky that I’ve probably only got like 5 hanging around). But it is what it is, and I’m hoping to make peace with whatever age I am – I can’t control it, right? I think our society FIGHTS it too much.

4. Kristen says:

I really embraced turning 30 — I was proud of what I’d done, and excited about what I had yet to do, and it sounds like you’re very much in the same boat. Today is my 31st birthday, and honestly, I feel the same way. Things might change when I’m facing down 40 or 50, but I hope not — I like feeling happy with myself and pleased with what I’ve accomplished.

5. Rae Gross says:

I am turning 30 this year and I agree that your 20s are a of insecurity and uncertainty. I have been looking forward to my 30s because so much of my 20s was a fight. Now I have my dream job, a boyfriend, a beautiful apartment and plans to buy a new car and get a puppy. I am finally in a place where I am not so frantic and can actually enjoy my life. I also made a list of things, my 40 before 40 goals. They are ambitious and will probably change, but they give me something to set my sites on :).

6. Happy birthday, Jenn! And may you have many many more happy years, especially with that expanded family you are planning.

7. Becky says:

I’m turning the big 3-0 later this year.

8. Kate says:

Happy almost birthday! Your list of things accomplished in your 20s sounds much like mine and I love the goals for the next decade. You could totally do a triathlon, even this year! I could ramble forever about why and how 😉 Plus it’s awesome cross-training for another marathon! Good luck reaching your goals!
    –kate

9. Sagan says:

Happy Birthday, Jenn! The way I see it, the opportunities in life simply grow as we get older. Which is awesome. I’m loving my 20’s and plan on embracing my 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and so on when I get to each stage in my life! It’s all about living in the present.