Best 6 Protein Powders

I prefer getting my nutrition from whole, natural foods, but since I’m a pescetarian (I eat seafood, but otherwise follow a vegetarian diet), I’m always looking for easy ways to add protein to my diet. Of course, I go with all the standards—beans, eggs, nuts—but sometimes, an active girl like me needs a little help to get all the protein she needs for the day. And what better way than protein powder?

We’ve tried out a few here at FBG, and we went to our readers on Facebook and Twitter to get a few other suggestions.

lichi-protein-powder6 Top Protein Powders

1. Vega’s Whole Food Smoothie InfusionFBG Jenn checked this one out a few years ago, and not only did she and her husband love it, but it turns out loads of our readers are fans. Vegan and free of all the common allergens, it provides 14 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber and 120 calories. No wonder it’s a hit!

2. Jay Robb Whey ProteinOur readers definitely weren’t shy about their love for Jay Robb, and we see why—it packs 25 grams of protein and offers fun flavors like Piña Colada and Tropical Dreamsicle. Plus, it’s only 110 calories, making it a bit lower than many other options.

3. Harvest Hemp Pro 70This is the protein powder currently sitting in my fridge, and although I was a little skeptical due to the smell, which is a little…earthy, I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty it was mixed into a fruit-filled smoothie. This vegan-friendly powder has 140 calories, offers 21 grams of protein and definitely keeps me full.

4. ClickClick is billed as “The Coffee Lovers Protein Drink,” and it certainly “clicked” with Jenn! Instead of having to find a spot on your desk for your smoothie and your coffee, you can get your coffee fix and all those good-for-you nutrients in one drink—you’ll get 15 grams of protein and 23 essential vitamins and minerals, along with 120 calories.

5. PlantfusionAnother favorite of our readers, Plantfusion is free from all kinds of things you might be trying to avoid—dairy, soy, animal products, eggs, wheat, gluten, nuts and shellfish, but it boasts 21 grams of protein and just 120 calories.

6. Lichi Super Fruit. This natural blend of cocoa, whey and soy proteins, vitamins and omega fatty acids is designed to aid weight loss—with 120 calories, we can see why it works. And believe us, it tastes good, too!

Do you have a favorite protein powder that we missed? What is it and why do you love it? —Kristen

Comments

1. Laura says:

I am obsessed with Optimum’s “Any Whey” Protein. It is flavorless, so you can add it to ANYTHING. I’ve mixed it into my coffee, baked it into pumpkin muffins, and of course just added it to smoothies.

2. Ross says:

Whey protein from The Body Evolution. Best tasting protein out there.

3. Elle says:

I LOVE RTN (Revolutionary Technology Nutrition) whey protein powder!! It is made up of high-quality ingredients, is sweetened with stevia, mixes easily, and tastes DELICIOUS!!

4. LaJean says:

My over-th-top fave is Pure Power Protein from mercola.com–with quality whey protein, chia seeds, probiotics, pre-biotic fiber and sweetened with Luo Han juice concentrate. Very low glycemic, 20 g protein per serving. But the best part is absolutely delicious taste!! My favorite flavors are the banana (with real banana powder) and the chocolate.

5. I was shocked you didn’t mention Whey Protein from EAS. I use it constantly as a recovery shake.

I put 2 scoops into the blender with a 50/50 mix of organic chocolate milk and water.

Whether or not you use Vanilla or chocolate doesn’t matter. The Vanilla makes a great ‘Black and White’ with the organic chocolate milk and the Chocolate with the organic chocolate milk is simply amazing for chocolate lovers.

The fact that it offers 23g of protein per scoop and only 1g of fat means that it is terrific for you…and tastes great as well.

6. GiGi says:

Aw! You missed OLYMPIAN LABS PEA PROTEIN! It’s BOMB!

7. Cindy says:

Help, I cannot have aspartame or sucralose but want to find a good tasting protein drink. I have used GNC’s non-flavored Whey Protein Powder, but I would love to find a great tasting vanilla and chocolate that has Stevia in it instead. Any recommendations?

8. S. Ogden says:

I thought Click sounded like a good drink so I tried it. It gave me a horrible headache that lasted for hours. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, I tried it again and now ith the headache I was accompanied by frequent bathroom trips. Maybe it was something in the drink ingredients that didn’t jive with my stomach. I’ll stick to the Lichi Super Fruit.

9. I do not suggest Whey based protein powders. Dairy based (whey comes from milk) are not healthy. Do your homework. Whey is common because it is cheap to produce. Look for a plant based protein NON gmo, no allergens, preservatives, soy, gluten or toxins. I like SevenPoint2 http://www.getsevenpoint2.com

10. Lori says:

I agree with Sara, I found 2 great complete nutrition shakes that are dairy free, soy free, gluten free, and vegan.

Cindy, both of these are sweetened with stevia so you might like these

One is called Amazing Meal from amazing grass. It has greens, fruits, veggies, and no sugar. The chocolate infusion is pretty tasty. they came out with a new flavor that I want to try, vanilla chai yum! the chocolate is only sweetened with organic cocoa and the vanilla chai is sweetened with stevia.

The other is green foods True Vitality. this has plant based protein, probiotics, greens, and is sweetened with stevia. I love the chocolate one too! I drink this every morning with organic milk (I don’t have issues with dairy) but you can use almond or coconut milk both are great too!